Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

just bought a 78 k5

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road
Default just bought a 78 k5

hey i got a 78 k5 blazer with 33 inch tires and i was wondering if i wanted to put a 6 in. lift on it how much id have to change and how much itd cost ??

Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

lift kits for straight axles are alot cheaper then for ind. front suspension. check out lmc

Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Summit racing and JEGs also sell kits. I don't think you "need" 6" of lift to fit the 33's. I believe all you need is a 4" lift. Check out Swartlkk's ride.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 3" body lift on my '74 running 33x12.5's. The front fenders are clearanced or else there would be some rubbing while at full lock in either direction with one side on the bump stops.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Beginning Member
K-BERTHABABY-5 is on a distinguished road

I have a stock height 90 k5 and i have 33's and can fit 35's with very very small amount of trimming

Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Um... Are they really 33" diameter tires (not just a number on the sidewall)? I have seen a number of tires that list as 30, 31, 32, 33, etc that can be up to 2" smaller than stated on the sidewall in actual outside diameter when properly inflated.

I can tell you that when wheeling my '74, I have gotten within an 1/8" of hitting my 33's on the wheel well while turning and I have a 3" BL with about a 3" trim on the bottom corners of the front fenders.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Um... Are they really 33" diameter tires (not just a number on the sidewall)? I have seen a number of tires that list as 30, 31, 32, 33, etc that can be up to 2" smaller than stated on the sidewall in actual outside diameter when properly inflated.
Then what's the point of putting the size on the sidewall?!...LOL. It's that 8" or 12" thing again isn't it?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member
K-BERTHABABY-5 is on a distinguished road

Well i have not actually meassured em but i just go with the sidewall number......and i bought the blaz az is and i do not think there is a body lift, i could be wrong but at most if there is its like a inch maybe.....and only time i have any kind of rubbin is in 4lo crankin the wheel all the way and movin it rubs a lil bit...other then that no rubin when in 2wd

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I run33"s right ow on my K-5 however I also have a 4" lift, as for the orginial Question for what he needs to modify for the 6" lift, as What I have to do on mine for the 6" should apply, the obvious SPrings and shocks of course, also should have dropped steering arm and drops of the sway bar, also I highly recommend getting a steering box brace for it.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i have an 8" suspension lift and i have 35s on right now. i can still go bigger without trimming. however i'd have to upgrade my axles. 33s are the biggest to safely go according to kyle. i'd say about the same too, too big and you're putting alot of extra tear on your axles.

Quick Reply: just bought a 78 k5