Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

95 Junkyard Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member
Pat8987 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Junkyard Jimmy

Hey there wanted to finally put a build there with everything I have done and will do on my 1995 GMC Jimmy.
I picked it up with 255k km, in May 2018 as a little project truck.
My plan is to turn it into a "cheap" off roader

First goal was to get it running, as it sat for a few years. But with as many recycled parts as possible, to keep the budget low. Or thru trading/swapping with others.

Started by getting the front wheel bearings replaced, the brake lines in the rear were rusted out as well, and swapped new brakes and hardware on all 4 sides.

Replaced the alternator with a high amp one, swapped all 6 speakers and the head unit. Will need to do the big 3 wire upgrade soon.

Next was brakes, It stops alright for a 20 year old truck, but I would like it better. So will be swapping the fronts to newer style hubs and dual piston fronts, with disks in the back as well. Just need some 98+ hubs for the front and should be an easy swap.

For the cooling, I will be swapping to a double electric fan set up, with a trans cooler up front.
I have had to also replace my rad with a better condition one, and I have a spare in case it messes with me. Has a high flow thermostat using 50/50 coolant and dionized water.

The engine is a 4.3 CPI vortec, I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, lower intake manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. Still haven't messed with the spark plugs yet or the wires. I'm not sure what the difference between thicker wires would be.

I scored a used set of JBA headers, so I will get them ceramic coated along with the Y pipe.

So yeah things are looking good for the junkyard Jimmy!

Thanks for reading

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

What are your plans on lift/tires?

And it's always nice to see another '95 on here. They can be a.... "unique" year model, to say the least lol

Old 05-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
What are your plans on lift/tires?

And it's always nice to see another '95 on here. They can be a.... "unique" year model, to say the least lol
Yeah the 95's are a little interesting! At first (before I knew much about the engine) I was a bit discouraged that it was a bastard year, but in the end the engine is reliable and stout if you keep it maintained.
In regards to lifting/wheels.. Someone is selling some 79 wagoneer axles, dana44 front but not sure what the back is, or what ratio.

I think I need to find some new struts as the ride is extremely bouncy right now!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
BF Veteran

79 and older wagoneer axles are passenger side drop, and I think the rear is offset as well. Unless you plan to change the tcase, it won't work.

80+ had D44 front and rear, and the diff was driver side, like we need for our trucks

Edit: might be off on the year, but I'm pretty certain you'll need 1980 and newer. Double check the diff location, definitely

Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member

Replaced the oil filter, oil filter lines and oil cooler lines, found some real nice ones with AC hose instead of crimps... Hopefully this holds up! I also switched from the little donut gaskets to a single piece gasket with metal and rubber. Looks promising.

At this time I switched to a larger Wix XP oil filter. Part # 51036XP. It is almost 2 inches longer and apparently has a synthetic media filter that can grab degree as small as 10 microns, so lets hope it will grab all the crud that has accumulated over the years.

I really like adding bigger oil filters where possible, it usually increases oil capacity by 1/4 a quart and helps keep the oil cooler as well as helps filter it better.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Got the k&n intake kit in, now just gotta make a little box to block out warm engine air. Had to extend the sensor right underneath it

Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran

Man, that's a clean engine bay!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Man, that's a clean engine bay!
Thanks man!

So I recently got pretty sick so it hurt working on the Jimmy. Feeling a lot better already though!

Since I got the Jimmy a year ago I didn't look at the spark plugs.. so tackled that yesterday. The plugs I bought were for the newer version of the vortex. CPI spark plugs look short like a lawn mower spark plug

Oh well got a few things done
- cleaned up and regapped old plugs
- swapped front shock absorbers for newish ones
- swapped the throttle position sensor with one I found in an astro. Aggressive shifting out of park to reverse/drive has definately reduced. Again CPI unique sensor
- planning my front air box. If I could make it air tight I could find a way to snorkle it eventually

The engine is nice but annoying since a lot of things are unique on it.

Next up is rear shock absorbers.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Well it has been put together for a few weeks now so took it mudding! Well off roading but there was mud!

On the way back the passenger side valve cover started leaking oil, whenever it's a big incline it started to smoke. So I think I gotta get a new gasket and try cleaning it up again.
Other than that it, it was a tank! The cold air filter might not be the best idea for bogging though

Gonna take the side panels too as it's a bit too low

Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Pat8987
- planning my front air box. If I could make it air tight I could find a way to snorkle it eventually

There's a way to snorkel a 95!

Quick Reply: 95 Junkyard Jimmy