Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   Madmaxxed's 1999 Chevy Blazer Slow Build! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/madmaxxeds-1999-chevy-blazer-slow-build-87831/)

madmaxxed 11-11-2014 03:22 PM

Madmaxxed's 1999 Chevy Blazer Slow Build!

1 Attachment(s)
So after owning my 1999 Blazer for a few years and barely putting 9000 miles on it since I figured i'd make it something i'd want to use more. This is a third vehicle for my wife and I and mainly used to cart our dogs around. So far i've been doing some minor improvements. 2.5" spacers in the rear, 1.25" spacers in the front, 2" lift shackles in the rear, slight torsion crank up front. I just ordered a PA 2" body lift, roof rack rails, Procomp low profile 5" offroad lights. I should have all the parts tomorrow but really don't plan on tackling the body lift until warmer weather. Maybe i'll get adventurous during the long weekend for Thanksgiving. Anyways, here's how it sits now. My next idea is a 2.5" RC suspension lift. I don't plan on wheelin' the blazer, just for looks. More pictures to follow once I start tinkering more.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1415740932

Tajohns34 11-12-2014 06:46 AM

Looks like it is in pretty decent shape. What kind of dogs do you have?

madmaxxed 11-12-2014 07:49 AM

The blazer is in great shape! I picked it up from a single owner who only put 81K on it. The repairs i've done have been from having the blazer sit in my driveway, not used.

Dogs, I have a huge alaskan malamute and 2 jack russells.

bigpeet 11-12-2014 08:52 AM

Nice Blazer! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

madmaxxed 11-12-2014 06:21 PM

Body lift, procomp lights, and roof rack arrived on my doorstep today! Just waiting on my wiring kit for the lights. Unfortunately the mini needs brakes on all 4 corners so the lift install might take a backseat for a bit. Argh!

madmaxxed 11-24-2014 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a roof rack to hold my MINI (thule criterium) bike trays. I felt like giving my car a break from the roof rack system. I also took advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday and got my procomp lights mounted. I just have to wire them up now. Body lift awaits in the back seat of the blazer.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1416869358

rexmburns 11-25-2014 12:07 PM

Looks good!

El_Beautor 11-25-2014 02:19 PM

Nice looking Blazer.

madmaxxed 11-25-2014 06:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'm so anxious to start pushing this thing higher off the ground. I'm shooting for a suspension lift over the winter! Fingers crossed I can make it happen. I'm in the middle of trying to lowball a deal on a ZR2 rear tire carrier. I've been back and forth on offers and now playing the patient card and waiting for the seller to say "deal".

madmaxxed 12-26-2014 11:03 PM

I ordered my RC lift today! Found the best price on Amazon. I hope I achieve the right look between the rc lift and pa body lift. I won't be wheeling this thing, just want a more aggressive look.

madmaxxed 12-27-2014 10:18 AM

Since I did 2" lift shackles already I figured I'll keep them on rather than swap them with the ones included in the rc kit. I'm going to try a different route and ordered a set of superlift add a leafs from summit to add a little extra to the rear.

madmaxxed 01-06-2015 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oh boy! I'm almost ready to go!!! Just waiting for the warm weather to hit. argh... sooooo far away... I got my body lift, RC 2.5" kit, superlift add a leaf springs. I figured i'd replace the lower balljoints when i do the lift so ordered some new Mevotech ones and scored a pair of torsion bars from a 1999 zr2 blazer. they look almost new and come with a set of keys (i won't be using). my front end seems a bit soft and my driver side torsion bar looks pretty scaled up with rust compared to the passenger side.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/attach...ine=1420574317

madmaxxed 01-18-2015 06:06 PM

I scored 4 Z28 wheels for 125. Picking them up tomorrow as soon as I'm out of work. Anyone still running spacers with these? I'm wondering if they will stick out too far if i continue to run the 2.5" and 1.25" spacers I have on now.

rexmburns 01-18-2015 08:03 PM

No spacers they are already going to stick out more.

madmaxxed 01-18-2015 08:34 PM

Great! Thanks Rex. They are from an 86 iroc. They look to be in great shape from what I can see in the pictures. I'll know for sure when I go get them tomorrow.

madmaxxed 04-15-2015 08:12 PM

My wife and I just got back from a long awaited vacation in Playa Del Carmen! It seems we brought some sun and warmth back. I started spraying down bolts with PB Blaster in preparation. The time has come and will start wrenching on the blazer this weekend and start installing some goodies!

madmaxxed 04-21-2015 03:31 PM

I just found better instructions for the body lift. Zone Offroad Products has a really nice set of instructions with pictures you can make out. I'm going to start tearing this down tonight after work!

madmaxxed 04-21-2015 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little done after work today. If the weather is okay I will spend a little time on it again tomorrow.

madmaxxed 04-26-2015 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the body lift in yesterday. I ended up ording new body mounts so she will stay loose until the arrive. Install wasn't bad at all aside from a few tight spots and one broken body mount bolt. Argh. Today's project will be to get it removed. Going to drill out an opening on the driver side floor to see if I can access it from the top. I'll try some PB blaster from the top first, apply heat if that doesn't work. I'm happy with the appearance. Suspension lift install to follow.

madmaxxed 04-26-2015 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Rear.

madmaxxed 04-26-2015 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Side.

madmaxxed 05-03-2015 02:29 PM

Slowly got around to finishing up the body lift. Well almost, still have to secure the front bumper but ran short on washers so I will pick some up tomorrow. I do have to either modify the air box or just pick up a cone filter. I did hook up the battery and for some unknown reason it wouldn't fire. Hmmmmmmm.

madmaxxed 06-27-2015 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a great picture but does show some height difference. I was going to start on the suspension lift but unfortunately I was involved in a hit and run last week. We were forced right off the highway in my MINI Cooper by a guy towing a few atvs, he smacked his trailer into the side of my car. Car is going in for body repair so I will be using the blaze.

madmaxxed 08-31-2015 04:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally decided to start working on the suspension lift yesterday. I got the upper control arms disconnected, shocks out, torsion bars unloaded. I see this taking a week or more as it's not a daily driver and I'm in no rush to get it done.

madmaxxed 08-31-2015 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Driver side.

TMM217 08-31-2015 06:33 PM

Im right with you here. Doing my front end suspension and steering components. Also my 3rd vehicle so really no hurry other than done before it snows. Will be following this thread.

madmaxxed 09-04-2015 07:28 PM

I ordered my tires tonight. I couldn't pass the deal I got on a new set of 265/75-16 GT RADIAL ADVENTURO AT3. These measure out to 31.7" and are going on a set of older Iroc Z wheels. I'm hoping to have most of the lift complete this weekend.

madmaxxed 09-06-2015 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a little more progress on the front end. I got the axle shafts out, upper and lower control arms out, torsion keys and bars out. I am ready to drop the diff out! I removed the lower control arms to get the the torsion bars out as they were completely seized in the keys and arms. I am going to replace the lower ball joints, torsion bars with a set from a ZR2. I already have 2" shackles in the rear so I'm going with an add a leaf for the springs.

madmaxxed 09-06-2015 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Passenger side.

madmaxxed 09-13-2015 03:10 PM

I finally got the front differential out today. Thank you to Jamaroon for your thread and the few helpful hints such as removing the entire steering linkage. This was a huge help. I hope the reinstall goes smoother than the removal.

TMM217 09-13-2015 07:05 PM

Had my driver side key seized too. Nothing an air hammer couldnt get out though.
My pass. side came apart easier than my driver side. I removed my lower arms to install new bushings while I was at it. I cheated with the bushings though, I had a shop R&R them after spending an hour just to get 1 out. Just need to degrease arms and paint them up.

TMM217 09-13-2015 07:08 PM

Taking in my axle to the shop this week to have new bearings installed and whatever else they find needing replaced. I know my pass tube outer bearing is shot for sure. Been having a horrible shimmy from that thing for over 30k.

madmaxxed 09-17-2015 10:36 PM

I've made some small progress yesterday with new lower ball joints and got the front diff back in place today. That was a simple task as I thought it was going to be a pain to get back in place. I found that getting the lower driver side bolt in first allowed the entire diff to be lifted right into place as it rolled right up! Heading out of town for the weekend but should have the front end buttoned up tomorrow.

Jamaroon 09-18-2015 07:25 AM

Glad my how to helped you out! Keep at it.

madmaxxed 09-30-2015 03:30 PM

The last pictures I took was the front differential back in place and CV's back in. I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the front end parts going in. Everything is back in place with the front end lifted up. I took measurements and I believe I have the keys turned up giving me 22"+/- from the axle center to the bottom of the fenders. I could probably go a little more but I think i'm happy with the way it is now. The measurement also includes the 2" body lift. I'm not sure if this will make any difference but I tightened the upper and lower control arms while on jack stands and then installed the tires, set the front back on the ground and retightened. The reason I went this route was to get the cam bolts back to where I marked them. The front end alignment looks pretty good by eye. The rear add a leafs will be going in this weekend and the rear will be complete. I'll let the suspension settle a bit before I get the front end aligned and put the new tires on.

madmaxxed 10-05-2015 03:43 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Finished up the lift yesterday. I got the add a leafs in along with the rear sway bar brackets and new shocks. I just need to get the new tires mounted up along with an alignment and i'm all done! i'm pretty happy with the way it sits. it's sitting on the stock 235 tires now. The pictures really don't seem to do any justice. i'm right arount 22.5" from axle center to fender well edge. The add a leafs gave it a nice stance on the rear end. I had a visitor stop by too as i was buttoning everything up.

TMM217 10-06-2015 03:20 PM

Nice stance. Hope to get mine back together soon to look like that. Shop still has my axle and its holding me up.

madmaxxed 10-14-2015 09:23 AM

Blaze is getting it's front end straight today and the new shoes are going on as well!!! i'll post some pictures when i get it back this afternoon!!!!!

madmaxxed 10-14-2015 06:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Blazer looks great! Better than I expected. I will have to trim or roll the back of the front fenders a bit as they rub when turning.

madmaxxed 10-14-2015 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Front