Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Maine-Work in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member
Dartanian81 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Oktain.

Well I had planned to make a intro thread of repairing this truck, then I was going to make a build thread of me Modifying the truck.

I guess repairing is building, isn't it?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Yeah I guess it is eh? lol.

I'll move it, it'll keep the continuity flowing. "This is EVERYTHING I did to the truck"

*Moved to Builds*

Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

if it was just seeping out i would have switched to thicker oil to see if it sloes down to the point where it wasnt a big deal, oil pans are a pain in the *** on 4wd trucks. a lift and proper tools makes the job that much easier.
Maine sucks for custom trucks i've been pulled over at OOB a few times in lowered and bagged trucks

Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

It was leaking pretty bad, I was told by the mechanic I had work on it that the Timing Cover was cracked. Upon inspection I found it wasn't but the seal was dry rotted.
It's a crucial spot because the oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket meet here at the lower front part of the block. I figured this would atleast stop the majority if not all of the drip.

Some mechanics say that you need to lower the pan a couple inches to mate the timing cover gasket, but I haven't seen a reason to.

I'm just gonna put her back together this weekend, RTV it and see exactly what's next to tackle.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

So everything went good this weekend, no leaks. However I did find out why they told me I would have to drop the oil pan to replace the timing cover gasket.
I just beveled/cut the very back lip to the timing cover off considering it really doesn't hurt the truck any and that lip doesn't seal anything anyway.

Everything went without a hitch.

This weekend I tackle a Manifold exhaust leak, an O2 sensor and then Hopefully I can begin Upgradeing the truck alittle.

Took it for a ride yesterday, the 4.3 in this truck has alot more "Umph" than I had hoped for. More power than the chevy short bed I had previously owned.

More pics to come.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Beginning Member
Cool

Have been very very busy with the truck, was only able to work on it over the weekends since my last post but she is coming along very well.

-New wheels and tires (tracker 2's with cragar 15x7 soft 8's)
-Chrome Intake with home-made intake box
-New sparkplugs/wires (Champions)
-New hood (Taken from a guy on craigslist)
-Touch up paint (Krylon from walmart)
-New o2 sensor (rf)

Working on redoing the exhaust, was thinking about duals single into cat double out with 2 flowmasters and exiting on the sides just after the wheels.
May be up for some advice on that.

Had planned on putting a single welded thrush on, but after I bolted it up and listened I took it off. lol Just not throaty and deep enough. Way to quiet.

Attached Thumbnails Maine-Work in Progress-blazer-1.jpg   Maine-Work in Progress-blazer-2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member
Talking

Blazer as it sits here 4/3/11, just before I have some exhaust work done later this week.

Attached Thumbnails Maine-Work in Progress-blazer4.jpg   Maine-Work in Progress-blazer5.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member

-Things I have done differently from when I began this build.

*Decided the yokohoma Geolanders are not as good as stock Tracker 2's. Based on a 500 mile comparison. Tread wear is much better on the trackers, and traction is noticeably the same on/off road.

*Planned to incorporate an Thrush welded single in/out muffler. Changed my mind after hearing it, to a Flowmaster 1 in/2 out idea. <-- Have to have it farbricated though.

*The stock front speakers surpass even the most expensive of walmart ones. Just make sure they are properly connected. ><

-Things I have learned since I began.

*Cold air intake is a personal must. Filter oil= Bad

*Changeing certain spark plugs on this blazer could ruin your whole day.

*4 Lo in this Blazer just like most rarely work, actuators were made poorly.

*Don't use any OEM replacement parts when it comes to ANY of the Ignition stuff.

*Cleaning the Maf sensor, really doesn't do much. Cleaning the throttle body really does ALOT!

*Throttle body spacers= Bad

*Some aftermarket rims and alittle bit of tlc to a blazer can get you more attention than you may want =)

-Things Left to do possibly do.

*Stubby antenna?

*1.5 Inch hub centric Wheel spacers for the back wheels to bring the stance out even with the front wheels.

*Paint (even though I really like the two tone the way it is.)

*KC Highlites

*Fabricate a better skid plate, because that plastic one with the door with access to the oil filter is a joke.

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

i would only use a/c delco parts for ignition