Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

The Marine's ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road
Default The Marine's ZR2

Gents,
So I bought this ZR2 after a deer totaled my Z24 I had bought after boot camp (figured this time I would take Bambi out... also why I picked up my AR)
This is about my 6th 2dr blazer. I always make sure to find the ones with the G80 all power etc and make sure they get plenty dirty. It was owned by a 85 y.o. greek man who got it when his son died. Came to me with 88k on the clock and now has 92k.

Of course as soon as I pick it up the following happens:
My nice near new BFG Long Trails decide that one should be a fink and shift a belt. 4 new all terrains to make that right. While I had it up I was informed the shocks were on the way out.

I of course leave it alone and just drive it. Until last week...

Doing what she does best. My neighbor had a tree that needed to come down just so. I happened to have 4lo and a good hearty strap...

Now it has a check engine light for the evap system and a uim leak, I also have replaced the serp and the AC compressor. What comes next?

I get out to my truck after my night class at UCONN and the pedal goes to the floor.

SO I go to get it towed and 2 hours later they call to say they are in traffic. SHould have just driven it home with the e-brake but the wife shot me down on that. Anyway I finally get it home and it is the passenger front brake line.
Now for anyone who does not know where that runs on the ZR2, it is basically behind the skid plate right above the sway bar.

WHile I was in there I noticed that while my truck has zero rust (which is why I bought it) the whole frigging suspension is dry rotted. So I ordered up some of these:

I plan to give her a slight lift. I want more clearance but I still need to fit in parking garages.

I also ordered up all new poly bushings. Doing every one in the front end and the sway bar links in the back as well. Should be about new when I am done. Should bust into the engine soon to fix everything for winter.

I am also doing a little audio upgrade. I have a dvd nav unit going in next month and I already ran cables for the JL 500/1 and 300/4. I am using rainbow audio components in the stock locations and a boston comp g3 in the back. the truck will be set up to be a great cruiser and also get quite dirty.

C&C always welcome!

Last edited by USMC3782; 07-26-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Change title and fix mistype.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Nice looking truck!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

Very nice looking truck. I wonder if the way that brake line runs is ZR2 specific, or just a second gen thing maybe.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Nice looking truck!
Thanks! It was hard to find one that was rust free. Now I just need to order basically every bushing, they all have dry rot from how infrequently the guy drove it.

Originally Posted by 50percentgenius
Very nice looking truck. I wonder if the way that brake line runs is ZR2 specific, or just a second gen thing maybe.
I have not taken apart the brakes on a non zr2 but we have one at the shop i can check. I could have tried just taking off the front skid plate but I wanted to make it easy and also inspect the body mounts etc.

I just received my new shocks, Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. Just need to order up some bushings and away we go. FYI, I only paid $86 shipped and received the shocks 36 hours later from 4wheelonline.com Not too shabby at all.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Starting Member

so I need to do my body mounts as well. Anyone had any luck with poly mounts? I use them in my z24 convertible but for off road i did not know if the energy suspension kits squeak like hell.

thanks in advance!

Mike

Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Starting Member

Parts in today! I have a midterm for my summer class so I have to put this off till Friday. Then again my friend wants to go shooting this friday. So bloody knuckles or making things go boom?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

i put in the energy sus. poly body bushings when i installed my
body lift,got the black ones, and no squeaking or anything wierd like that,
they also increased body lift slightly, dont compress like the origional rubber mounts, im happy

Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Starting Member
Default Parts going in!

Since I had the sway bar off i figured a little sanding and paint was in order.

The original shocks.. eesh

The new toys, 9 way adjustable just like my other Z24

The driver front
Passenger front

Next project on this 90* plus day

Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

Nice to see a fellow mil member on here, doing good work on the zr2

Old 08-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Starting Member
Default Progress

[
New tow package installed. Do have question about wiring to teh factory harness back there.

Quick Reply: The Marine's ZR2