Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

my $20 taillight project

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G-FLo
that came out pretty smooth .. I like and allready thinking bout the taillight tint spray . Its supposed to be transparent i believe so it shouldnt hinder any light output or atleast not as much as staight up spray can paint . bI have tried it on a coupler junk lenses to get a feel for the stuff .. Only think i dont like is it has a dullish look to it when it dries But Ive seen that if your clearcoat it and wetsand it will give that shiny effect to it like but too much work IMO. Nice job definetly something I might have to bite off ..lol
It WILL hinder light, but the amount it will is determined by how many coats and how thick they are. It is a lot better than a straight black spray paint though. I highly suggest clear coating them. You don't have to wetsand if you don't want to (I didn't), and it will have a nice shiny finish.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I blacked mine out and now I dont like it. Dont get me wrong, it looks awesome but the cops dont like it and its got cracks in the paint. If installed properly, it can be pretty tite! I'm thinking of using the real tint verses the spray on kind??

Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

ive seen real tint work well on tail lights

and it dosnt have to be so dark

Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Starting Member
christian1984 will become famous soon enough

The taillights looks really good, contrast between the black and the silver is really nice.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Thats a cool look

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Spike is on a distinguished road

Looks good man. I took those covers off mine, just I also tinted the whole tail light, not just the red part.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Real tint only works well on smooth surfaces, our tail lights have too much texture for the film to grab on. It works onderful on all the new dodge taillights cause they are flat and smooth and have square corners.

The cracking is cause you spray on too thick too often. That tint spray is a real bitch, its prolly one of the hardest paints to apply nice. You gotta do many many tiny coats to get it right, and the clearcoat a day later to make it shine. Ive done many tails with the paint, and the first few didnt look as good as I get em nowadays... I like to hold the can at least 30 inches above the target and give the pair a fog of it, instead of closer like traditional paint cans. It seems to atomize better and that little bit of airtime falling onto the target may dry it a little so it wont run... I dunno. But many small coats, one per hour seems to do it nice for me.