Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My 95/97 Project

Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default My 95/97 Project

As some of you know I bought a 97 2dr 4x4 blazer(Rusty) about 8 months ago, and then I put the motor from my 97 2dr 2wd in it(came with no motor).
Now 8 months later I am sick of the rust. SOOOO I bougth a 95 2dr 4x4 blazer with a locked 4.3, with the intention(sp?) of putting my 97 4.3(with wiring harness and comuter), 5 spd and manual t-case in.
Well now I may have a few problems:
1. When I was taking the 4.3 outta the 95 I noticed the fuel lines are dif. from the 97 to the 95. On the 95 they screw into the back of the motor while on the 97 they push in on top and theres a plate and a nut to hold them in. Can I just replace the lines from the fuel filter up?
2. Will the 95 fuel pump push enough for my 97 motor?
3. Can I use all the stock wiring(except motor wiring) from the 95 with my 97 computer?
4. The 95 has pw/pl/ps and I wanna keep that but will the 97 computer work since it had no power anything?
5. Im using the 97 steering columb since the 95 has the shifter on it and Im putting the 5spd in, so no need for the shifter.

Anyway for my other plans Im going to drop it 2/2or3(sorry not really into high trucks) by taking the torsion key bolts out and using the xtreme leaf springs I have with mabey a 1" block. Im taking the light gray center console and lower plastic from the 97 to give it a 2 tone interior. Im replacing the top plastic with the top from my other 97 since I dont like the top plastic in the 95.
Thanks,
Chris

Attached Thumbnails My 95/97 Project-drivers-front.jpg   My 95/97 Project-pass-front.jpg   My 95/97 Project-2008-08-13_0002.jpg   My 95/97 Project-2008-08-13_0005.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are looking at a lot of work. I would not use anything from the 95 that is not found to be the exact same as the 97. Completely different engine control systems. Also different locations for things.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

x2 that is a massive project you are undertaking there the 4.3 Vortec out the the 95 is configured totally different than the 4.3 in the 97. also the '95 is not even ODBII so that also means changing out more than just the harness.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Biohazed
x2 that is a massive project you are undertaking there the 4.3 Vortec out the the 95 is configured totally different than the 4.3 in the 97. also the '95 is not even ODBII so that also means changing out more than just the harness.
Yes the 95 is OBDII.
I just dropped the gas tank and it has been so hacked together so I've decided to change the tank and pump out with my 97's.
It is alot of work but in my opinion it will be really worth it in the long run.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it is OBDII? Is the PCM under the coolant bottle on the passenger side inner fender or is it under the dash?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Are you sure it is OBDII? Is the PCM under the coolant bottle on the passenger side inner fender or is it under the dash?
Its on the coolent bottle. It has an OBDII plug in under the dash.
I was just out there and Im also going to change the wiring harness for the fuel pump/rest of the rear harness.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazin97
Yes the 95 is OBDII.
I just dropped the gas tank and it has been so hacked together so I've decided to change the tank and pump out with my 97's.
It is alot of work but in my opinion it will be really worth it in the long run.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I have a 95 and it has a ODBII style connector under the dash also, however it s is not ODBII its a ODB1.5 setup as it is referred to, not even sure if any '95's has ODBII, pretty sure '96 was the first year

Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I think some 95's have the ODBII and some don't.. wasnt 95 a crazy year for Blazers?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator

There were three setups for 95.
#1 - OBD1 - Computer inside dash, OBD1 diagnostic port.
#2 - OBD1/OBD2 - Computer inside dash, OBD2 diagnostic port.
#3 - OBD2 - Computer under the hood on the coolant bottle, OBD2 diagnostic port.

You just have to be sure which one you have. Early model year 95's have #1. Mid to late model year 95's have #2, and very late 95's could have #3.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

He might very well have an obdii. That's how mine is. It has the computer in the engine compartment with the obdii connector. Also when I had trouble in NY I took it to Advanced auto and used an obdii scanner to get the codes. I know all about the 95 issues. My 95 grand am had the obd1.5 setup. screwy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 95/97 Project