Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My Big Baby(project)

Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
CHEVYBOY89 is on a distinguished road
Default My Big Baby(project)

So I thought I should start a thread about my blazer

Its a 1992 K1500
Engine 350 v8 5.7L L05 TBI
Auto Trans 4x4

For starters I bought it from some guy off craigslist not too far away (2hr drive), the guy got over on me real fast (so he thought), i paid $1800 for it. when i bought it everything was awesome besides the muffler and it needed a major tune up. i had checked everything from the oil to the fuel pressure even tire pressure...just for kicks.. and it seemed like everything was normal i drove it back to my city and she rode beautifully besides the loud pipes yelling under me..

so i decide to start on the maintenance while doing so i check the oil once again before i changed it to inspect clarity of it and what do you know.....its milky...

so first thing that came to my mind was either intake or head gaskets since it drove so well.. so i went forward with the intake first (cheaper route)

I started tearing the top end down when i got to the gaskets they were shot so i replace those with fel pro gaskets and ran to the junk yard and got a used intake manifold for 35 bucks (a steal). I cleaned it up real good and painted it black. Looks awesome under the hood.

i then replaced the starter, the Dist. cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, main ground, radiator hoses, heater hose inlet, pcv, thermosat, water pump, cleaned the maf, knock sensor, o2 sensors, and temp sensor

i still have yet to paint those valve covers.. i also still have to repaint the air filter but other than those few rusty looking parts the top of my engine looks freakin aye...lol

when i first did the tune up after i had completed the intake job it wouldnt start.. i had gotten a few tips from this wonderful site on finding the TDC and that worked out awesomely with a helping hand.

now that i have her running again im thinking its time to work on the exhaust since i never got around to that. I have a single in dual out flowmaster muffler laying in the garage waiting to be installed on something worthy enough.

only thing is i dont have a pipe bender to bend the tail pipes in the direction i want them in. I want them to point out right behind the rear tires i wanted to do in front of the rear tires but i dont know how that would turn out since i have never seen it done on this particular vehicle

but in the meantime in between time i will be also working on the interior

i installed a new headliner in the old one was hung by tacks and i felt like it deserved to be treated better than that i am blacking out everthing in and on the truck when i do get it repainted it will be hot rod black no gloss (murdered out).

If anyone has any ideas to run by me that will be awesome questions are welcomed too but as i go along i will be posting pics and other tips on how i did, what ive done to my big baby

Thank You All For Every Thing

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

looks like a fun project. Any lift or tires in future?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM

thank you i was thinking about adding 2 more inches of lift and putting 35s on but i was told it would ride funny if i lift it any higher and put 35s.. so either 33s with the lift it has now i am debating on addind a visor on the windshield with a roof rack just dont know where to find a good used one

Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

Ya, it will ride a bit different, but it is pretty easy to get used to it, and as long as everything else is in good shape than it wont be to bad. I would say go for the 35's, thats just me though lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM

it already rides funny with the 4 inch...lol but yea i got used to that bringing it home...

i went out and finally got that muffler expanded today.. its kinda cold here in Milwaukee, WI and dark at 5:30 pm already so im gonna put that on tomorrow bright and early.i still have to get that other pipe bent towards the driver side though. If i put it on now it would look like i have one gun and a **** back...lol since i have the one tail pipe running off to the side..lol

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM

is it possible to clean my oil pressure switch?
Im only asking cause i was told my oil pressure gauge goes to the highest point on the dash until the car heats up fully because it was so clogged from the bad intake it never goes under the mark of where its suppose to be though so thats a good thing.. its just more annoying than anything

if anyone has any tips that would be awesome.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 PM

so i go to the junk yard today just to look around and see whats new...

i came across the same exact blazer as mine they got it in today its black exactly like mine. same year and everything....i got to tugging at everything on that thing...lol...i got a windshield visor, a passenger seat which i needed badly cause there was a milk crate holding it up...lol...the back window holders cause the air pressure wasnt strong enough in the originals to hold the back window up...that mirror on the driver side cause it was shakey...tinted light covers front and back and best of all the pipes it had on it...now i dont have to go and get the pipes custom bent i can put them on and tack weld them right up...

and i got it all for under 80 bucks i think it was around 65 either way you gotta love the local UPullIt ;-)

Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 PM

a few of my new additions...

sun visor and fender

Attached Thumbnails My Big Baby(project)-img_20131115_151612.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Dark Rider is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your really getting it all together. I too just rebuilt the cooling system. Fortunately it had'nt leaked into the oil, just everywhere else outside.... I don't know what went first, but the radiator was cracked and leaking, the thermostat was shot to hell, and the intake manifold gasket looked like it was chewed on by a rock eater.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 AM

Thanks to me replacing the heater hose quick disconnect with the same crappy gm factory my big baby started leaking frome the same spot.....

pulled it replaced it with a hose and clamp..... problem solved

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Big Baby(project)

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.