Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Offroad ready daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

Most recently, I've began a bit of a project. tubular half doors! I almost have enough steel to make the two front doors, more than enough for one door. It's going to be 1 1/4" diameter steel that I'm using. I have a welder so I can actually do it all myself.
I've got the hinges figured out and have a pretty good idea for the latch. All that's left planning wise is to get a bunch of connectors so I can just disconnect the regular doors when I want to remove them.
When I got my roof rack, the bars were all wrapped in styrofoam, which I used to make a rough copy of the front doors. Everything is measured out and all I really have to do is cut the steel up and weld it together. As soon as it's consistently warm out I'll take the regular doors off and make sure everything is perfect!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Starting Member

So here is how my truck sits now. Suspension wise it's got a 2.5" lift with an add-a-leaf. 30x9.50 tires.

And here is the rough copy of my doors. I like the way it's looking so far and can't wait to have the actual ones! I plan on making back ones too, but those will be much simpler.

Attached Thumbnails Offroad ready daily driver-imag0486_zpsf9d61c8f.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0485_zpsffb14f57.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Can't wait to see these done!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Starting Member

Rex if I'm correct you have a half door project of your own thats in progress? Or is that some other guy I'm thinking of?
I'm hoping to have the door(s) at least tacked together by next week. I won't fully weld them up until I've had them on the truck and know they fit perfectly

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I've got some I'm working on but they are on the back burner for awhile in favor of the SAS.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member
rekker94 is on a distinguished road

If you make half doors, I will buy a set off of you in a heart beat!

Old 05-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Starting Member

I've got one door mostly done, the main part is tacked together, but I haven't put hinges on yet, as I'll do that when I have my actual doors off. Just waiting for the weather to generally warm up.. It was around 24 degrees for a day or two.. but now we're back in the low to mid 10's
ALSO... I've begun searching for a rear spare tire carrier! so far no luck

Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Starting Member

So, what do y'all think? They're nice and simple in my opinion. The wiring for the rear doors already has disconnects right at the jamb, which I only found out as I took the doors off. The hardest part was definitely popping the springs out of the doors, everything else went pretty smoothly. The doors are also lighter than I expected. I used the door pins from the front for the tube doors, and just bought new ones for the regular doors.

The rear "doors" are just a bar across for now, I was planning on making actual doors, but a few people said the bars looked good enough, so maybe I'll just leave them like that. I cut slots so they slide onto the existing latch. For the front, I tied paracord around the one bar on the door and made a loop, then hooked it on the inside of the truck on a screw I put inside, so it holds the door shut. For the rear, I used the little clip for the seatbelt that's there and just wrapped it around the bar and hooked it on itselt.. Not sure if that makes sense so I'll post a few pics when I think of it.

Any suggestions or tips to make them better? Tell me what you do and don't like!

Attached Thumbnails Offroad ready daily driver-imag0523_zps0c7df014.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0517_zps62d41c68.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0533_zps03c67bf7.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0534_zps7e00f917.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0535_zpsf84a25ba.jpg  

Offroad ready daily driver-imag0528_zps9eb68ecf.jpg   Offroad ready daily driver-imag0531_zpsc85b3e6d.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Starting Member

Didn't mean to post that twice.. if someone could help me delete the second one that'd be great!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I like em but I think you should add something to the front similar to what you had in your mockup or an X or something just to take up space and help add a little strength am seeing to it. Other than that they look great. Do you plan to find an alternative closing solution?

Quick Reply: Offroad ready daily driver