Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project BAB

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
JeremyG is on a distinguished road

We also did under the wheel wells- here's the "before" pics:

And "primered":

Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM

And Finished! We used Rust Oleum Underbody Spray on the wells and plain-ole Rust Oleum Gloss Black on the frame and other parts. We are VERY happy with how this came out!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM

And finally, my son's favorite part... Here's the roll bar - my son did all the prep work on this, including rough-sanding before the primer, then wet sanding before the final coat. I sprayed it, he chose the "color".

Before:

Primed:

Finished! This is just a chrome paint. Took 1 can, under $8.

Yes, it's THIS shiny, and it's pretty darn smooth especially for a spray-on with no wet sanding or buffing afterwards. This is only sprayed...

My friend didn't show up today to work on the rear axle, but just texted me saying he was on his way... we'll see!

Cosmetically, we got a LOT done today. ALL the paint, primer, degreaser, sandpaper, etc. cost under $150. Money WELL spent!

There's actually a total of almost 90 pics so far on my gallery, feel free to go see it... password is "blazer" all small letters, no quotes.
http://vegasphotopros.smugmug.com/Ve.../Truck-Rebuild

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Eh, not trying to be an attention hog but surprised no comments on the photos? Did we screw something up?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

keep em coming i like...

Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Beginning Member
acooper114 is on a distinguished road

that looks very cool.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

looking good. nice work too. getting the young kids involved makes them appreciate it alot better. so when his buddies asks him to hook up and pull trucks he'll make the right choice. (depending on the size of the truck. lol)

Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Very good work, makes me really miss my 84 Sierra. Kudos to both you and your son. Enjoy this project together and keep taking the pics. Looking back I wish I had taken more pics of my build from when my father and I worked on it a few years ago.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 AM

Update... as of now I think we're going to try a RustOleum spray-on paintjob. Not bedliner, actual Rust Oleum Professional. I've just spent like 2 hours researching, there's a $70 HPLV spray gun at Harbor Freight, and under $50 in paint, under $30 in sandpaper/tape, etc.

The body is straight enough to try this - there's a couple trouble spots and I think we're going to sand it pretty deep before we start prepping. The trouble spots are bondo-able and I have the skills to do that...

This won't happen until January unless we really get motivated - but baseball starts up again in a couple weeks and my friend still hasn't come to get the rear end swapped out...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 PM

Got some work done today before it started raining (yeah, in Vegas). Was able to get the front bumper off, and all the front silver trim, plus the turn signals and drivers-side door handle and lock.

Having some trouble with the rear bumper, there's a tow hitch blocking access to the back of the bolts - gotta ponder this one.

Tomorrow if the rain holds out, we'll get the rest of the outside trim off (rear view mirrors, and door hardware on passenger side) and start sanding. There's 2 places that need a tiny bit of bondo and hopefully we'll get that done tomorrow. Then, for the long Thanksgiving weekend, finish the sanding and HOPEFULLY get the paint laid down!

Of course it still needs a rear end. LOL

After that, it's all re-assembly, a couple days of work, and we're done!

Quick Reply: Project BAB