Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Got my steering hooked up- 4 inch drop pitman arm, V8 Cherokee drag link tie rod, and Wagoneer drag link. Pieced together, but it works. Fired the truck up and the 3/4 ton power steering pump turns the 40s like butter... Smoother than the factory pump with the 31s to my surprise.

Working on getting the fittings swapped onto my master cylinder lines so I can start installing the proportioning valve this weekend

Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

shes a beast! makes my blazer look like a hot wheels toy lol

Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM

DonL that's why I can't wait to build a lowered blazer next so I can park them side by side haha.

My custom brake hoses are going to be done tomorrow, 24" fronts and 28" rear, stainless braided line.

Put on new front brake calipers, got em for 20 bucks a piece at NAPA with a 2 year warranty- can't beat that.

Measured for my rear driveshaft, and found I needed a 37½ inch driveshaft (ujoint to ujoint)...which is pretty much the same size as factory 4dr 4x4 blazer shafts(37").... except mine was 2½-3" too short. That had me scratching my head, but I'm guessing the np233 t-case I swapped in is shorter than the np236 I had from the factory. So I'm going to try to find a used one local that measures correctly.

I also mounted my fire extinguisher to the outside of my toolbox so it's more easily accessible than digging thru the box for it. not the biggest thing to get done, but better safe than sorry.

Spraybombed my wheels black quick because I couldn't stand the white, and these wheels are only temporary anyway.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:25 PM

Got my front hoses today, rears aren't done yet.

Put them on and let the suspension drop all the way with the wheel turned and they are perfect size, with a little extra length to spare for comfort.

Went to find a place to mount my proportioning valve, and found 2 empty holes in the inner fender from where the ABS unit used to be...to my surprise I was a perfect match for the mount holes in the proportioning valve! Hard to believe.

Now I just have to run hard lines.

Also ended up trimming down the drag link end I put on- it was a little too long and was steering further right than left because of it.- now it adjusted in further and is even both ways.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM

Got the correct length driveshaft now. Here's the info I gathered:

The 2nd gen blazers had 2 different option codes for transfer cases.

NP1- 3 button transfer case(np233)
or
NP8- 4 button transfer case (np236)

The np236 is longer, and if you have RPO code NP8 you need the driveshaft that correlates to that. (It is a few inches shorter)

Being that I had NP8 from the factory, and switched to NP1 style T-case,I needed the NP1 driveshaft (longer and much more common) got one for 50 bucks delivered from a junk yard.

Also, I needed a conversion U-joint that would let me connect the blazer driveshaft to the Wagoneer Dana 44 axle yoke.

The blazer driveshaft uses a "s44" joint. This is also known as a Saginaw 44, 3R, or 1344 U-joint.

The Wagoneer Dana 44 uses a 1310 joint.

Here is the part numbers for the conversion joint so others can find it locally (it took hours of research for me to figure out)

NAPA: UJ372
MOOG: 372

You should be able to find it at any local auto parts store with those numbers.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:22 AM
BBen is on a distinguished road

That engine looks sexy!! and the Chevy is a beast!! Very nice

Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanks Bben

Been a while since I updated this, and I've been slacking on it lately- but here's where I'm at:
I ran the hard lines for the front brakes.
Proportioning valve broke on me while hooking them up, so I just ran a splitter and hooked up and bled front brakes only to test drive.

Finally got to drive her for the first time in years. It went okay, runs rough under load though. Tested fuel pressure and I still have issues with it even with an entire new fuel system.... I'm thinking I may have gotten a defective pump.

Since I swapped transfer cases to the 233 my vss sensor was completely different. I ordered a wiring pigtail for a blazer with NP1 code, clipped the old plug off the harness and soldered in the new one (with some extra wire because the difference in location). Took it for another test drive, and she shifts gears and has a working speedo now.

Pic of it compared to my girls full-size for reference

Last edited by chevyriders; 09-13-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Very nice stance! Are you going to do some body work around the wheel well?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:19 AM

The fenders are getting so rotted, I'm just gonna replace them instead of spending the time on them- they're in rough shape. The whole front clip is getting replaced over the winter- new fenders, inner fenders, rad. support, and a Jimmy hood.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I like the stance.

Quick Reply: Project Jeep-killing Chevy. 2000 4x4 Blazer