Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project K5

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member
robby12 is on a distinguished road
Default Project K5

Well i jest picked up this 1986 k5 blazer for free it runs and drive great every thing works it doesn't even look that bad but on the driver side the body supporter behind the front wheel is bad and the one in fornt of of the back wheel is bad to the body is sagging about one inch on the driver side, but the passenger side is solid as could be no sagging or any thing the guy who gave mt the blazer gave me both the bad body supports and a inner rocker panel pieces brand new in the box. but i don't know if it is worth it but i got it for free so why not try to fix it right Lets here every ones opinion on this one i put a one piece floor pan in my 70 chevelle and that was a pain in the a$$, i don't know how i would get the body back up on it any ideas

Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

post some pics so we can get a better idea of what we are dealing with. on mine i had to do a 1.5" body lift in the rear when i re-did floors

Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

You can see in pic one and six how far the body dropped i cant post any more pics till tomorrow camera battery's are dead i don't have any ideas on how to lift the body back up

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM

pics aren't showing. are they in your album?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

Ya they are it show them on my computer

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM

yeah they are working now. it looks like the rear floor supports are bad. if you can weld and do sheet metal work it shouldn't be to bad. how is the rear bedside brace underneath your tailgate? you got a k5 that is in decent shape. just needs a little work.

Last edited by blueblazer1982; 11-16-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member

the back of the bed on the driver side is gone the tail gate don't work so does any one have any ideas on lifting the body back up i can weld i have the abilty to fix it but iv never fixed such a problem

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM

see the pm i sent you. you have a few ways you can go on this. if you have access to sheet metal that is gonna be the cheapest. then just buy the front supports. the other option is go reproduced sheet metal. which is more pricey but easier. the back of the truck you can make your own floor supports out of tubing or c-channel. cheaper and much stronger then factory. also by making your own rear supports you can position how much you have to lift the body up if you have to at all. it depends on how bad of shape it is. from the looks of it , it is about good-average in terms of the shape these k5's get to be.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

Well got the body jacked up in the back i took the cap off and the body came up about a half a inch then i put a bottle jack between the back right tire and the wheel tub and brought it up one more inch till the body looked strait now im welding patch panel in the bed ill post some pics tomorrow morning

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sadly this is very typical of these trucks. also since your body is messed up dont take your roof off. i had one blazer where one of the bed sides dropped like 4 inches due to having no floor.

there is cheep fix if you dont wanna replace the entire body. i dont have any pics on this computer but basically if you can lift your body into place where you want it i basically ran brackets connecting the walls to the floors in about 8 spots and 1/8th inch plate running across the floor where those connected. my first k5 was way worst then that and it stabilized it pretty good. my current k30 i have i went to mississippi to get cause i got sick of dealing with this crap. good luck

Quick Reply: Project K5