Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   Project: Little Big Truck! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/project-little-big-truck-87964/)

rexmburns 02-12-2015 10:47 PM

Those are super duty axles with the 8x170 lug pattern and wider spring perch width due to the pumpkin being very close to the driver side of the axle. They "can" be used but there are much better options. Check out this thread SAS axle list - S-10 Forum and the rest of that section of the forum for all the info you might need to find the best options for you. What do you intend to use the rig for?

TMR_BLAZER 02-13-2015 06:00 AM

I plan to Daily drive it 7 months of the year. but as far as off road, mostly trails, light mud, a lot of snow, light rocks, silver lake sand dunes and the mounds, (mounds is a place near by made by the state with over a 100 acres of trails with different obstacles for 4wheelers

thanks for the link.

TMR_BLAZER 02-14-2015 10:41 AM

Ordered a 42 inch light bar today and some white HID's. I will post pictures upon arrival.

DocFlywheel 02-15-2015 11:47 AM

How you gunna mount your bar? I've had a 42" bar mounted to my curt basket but that s**t bounced somethin fierce when I would drive around especially off road.
I bough a rigid 20" bar mount and cut the Center out drilled a hole and used KC mounts to bolt it to the rack but mine sticks out a lot further than yours in the front. I'm mulling over just drilling two holes in the roof, cutting the rigid mounts shorter, giving the base a 20* incline and mounting to the roof.
Only thing is once you start punching holes in the roof there's no going back without a pain in the ass but I see it happening soon.haha

TMR_BLAZER 02-15-2015 12:37 PM

I am going to move my roof basket back about an inch to two inches.

Than I will unbolt just the front two bolts on the roof rails, slide my L brackets under them that the bar came with and bolt the rails back down, except this time when they're bolted back down they will be through the light bracket as well. basically utilizing the holes that are already in the roof. If I have to calk them than so be it.

Hopefully I said this in a way others can understand lol, if not I will post pictures when I install it.

rexmburns 02-15-2015 01:44 PM

Just be warned that those bolts aren't the strongest. Be careful when tightening then add the spot welds on the nuts inside they roof are week and will break loose pretty easy. I have seen people do just about exactly what you want to do tho with great results just be careful and you will be fine.

As for your axles I would say d44 would work fine for your needs. I would look for a waggy front and Rodeo rear or if you want full width go with the Ford front and 14b rear like I did. The 14b is cheap easy to setup and is a much stronger axle over a 60 rear. I built mine for about $700 including the cost of the axle, gears and disk brake conversion with the gears being half that cost.

TMR_BLAZER 02-15-2015 02:59 PM

okay thanks for the heads up Rex,

by the way, little off topic but, I have found s10v8 .com already, but is swapping a 6.0 the same difficulty as a 5.7,? I have researched it and found that you need the ECU, Harness, motor, new pan, headers, and mounts, those are obvious, but to me thats all drop in or bolt on stuff, which just seems to easy. where is the catch? I know you also need electric fans with reverse polarity, my trans will bolt up, and the AC compressor will be real close to my core support. but besides that?
I guess my two main questions are
1. am I missing any valid info
2. is the 6.0 the same direct swap ad long as I use the LQ4 Iron block.
Thanks

rexmburns 02-15-2015 07:12 PM

By 5.7 I assume your are referring to the 96-00 vortec motor and not the newer Ls1 correct? The vortec user considered to be the "easiest" swap due to ease of wiring. The LS platform be it the 4.8,5.3 or 6.0 are physically about the same work with the exception of a few clearance issues for the coil packs and oil pans (there may be a few other spots). The LS swap is usually more expensive unless you are good with wiring because you will have to buy a harness where as with the vortec swap it's only a couple wires to add and repin. Check out the lsx section on s10 Forum specifically the stickies and you will get a good idea of what's needed. I'm doing a 5.3 swap myself right now so I'll be happy to help in any way I can but in still learning new stuff everyday myself lol!

rexmburns 02-15-2015 07:21 PM

I should have also added that if you want to run a.c. With the ls you will either have top notch your frame or buy an expensive kit to relocate it. Nothing the frame isn't a big deal but it is an extra step to be aware of. You will likely need to recess your radiator into the core support for clearance and not sure about reverse polarity fans as long as they push or pull in the correct direction for where you have them mounted that is all that matters. For the trans you will need the correct flex plate as well as a flex plate spacer to mount top your trans. I wouldn't even consider buying anything with that kind of power to your current trans without a complete rebuild/beef up either or you will be pulling it in short order!

TMR_BLAZER 02-15-2015 07:54 PM

okay so, 6.0 and 5.3 are same block why don't you go with a 6.0 rex?
I have my cert. in electrical so no biggie with any wiring needed.
I will go with an LS motor over the old 5.7 vortec.