Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: One Piece At A Time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough
Smile Project: One Piece At A Time.

Yeah, you know the tune where Johnny Cash stole parts of Cadillacs off the assembly line and eventually built his own brand of Caddy.

I'm kind of going that way with this truck. I know some of this will be redundant to my intro.

To start with, it is a 1991 Blazer Sport 4 door bought for the princely sum of $400 off Craigslist and driven home on 2 cylinders. Turned out to be a super easy fix and I've been driving it ever since. It's never left me stranded and never really broke down on me until recently when the speedometer wires got pinched in the transfer case shifter and shorted out. Much more reliable than the piece of crap 1994 Olds convertible it replaced. It's also 99.9% rust free.

Not new to S10s nor Blazers having had a 1989 S15 my mom bought brand new and we still have, a 1987 Blazer 4x4 in college and a black 1996 Sonoma GT (4.3/5 speed ZQ8 reg cab sportside) bought nearly new. I had specifically wanted a 4.3 TBI truck with a floor shifted transfer case. I wasn't looking for a 4 door but this one was too nice to pass up and now I actually prefer the 4 door.

Here's what it looked like the day I brought it home.

It was well loaded from new with PW, PL, power mirrors, ect. 205,000 miles but had a new long block installed at 173,000. Most everything still worked except the windows. Those and the A/C were the first things to get fixed.

But I like to add options, features and accessories that were either not to be originally installed on the truck or were never available on a squarebody or even an S10 using GM parts as much as possible.

This was my initial plan for it.

But I abandoned that idea when I liked having a 4x4...Though I almost never use it.

After getting the front windows fixed with new motors, I did this mod for no real reason as we have no children.

A window lock out switch from a 1992 Olds 98.

Not too long afterwards, I wanted the spare out of the inside and found a 1994 Jimmy being parted out and picked up the spare carrier for cheap.

Then I modified it to hold my HiLift jack and put a 2WD spare tire and wheel on it because I had gotten a smokin deal on a set of 2WD wheels and new tires. Plus the 2WD wheel allowed me to be able to open the hatch glass without swinging the tire out. I still need to get a cover for it.

Next item was tinted front windows.

It with two of its friends...A 1991 Syclone and a 1992 Typhoon.

Then I had modified a 1988 tach cluster to accept an electric speedometer.

But I took it out recently in favor of a 1992-94 cluster. Hopefully it will have a tach again soon with a Sonoma GT cluster.

Since then, I added:

Exterior:
Third brake light: 1994 S10 Blazer
Hood strut: 1994 Olds Cutlass
Wheels/tires: 1993 GMC Jimmy 2WD
Rear window: 1993 GMC Typhoon

Interior:
Steering wheel: 1994 S10 Blazer
Express Down front windows: 1995 Pontiac Bonneville
All-Window-Down - I tap the back two window switches and all 4 windows roll down by themselves: 1994 Olds Cutlass
Updated chime module with automatic locks that lock at 9MPH, turn signal chime if I leave my signal on too long: 1996 Olds Cutlass (my chime is a less annoying "ding, ding, ding" instead of the original "doooooooooooooooooot"
Overhead console: 1994 S10 Blazer
Homelink for above: 2000 Olds Bravada
Auto-dimming rear view mirror with compass/temp: 2003 Chevy Silverado
Remote Keyless Entry with illuminated entry and factory alarm: 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix
Leather power seats with power lumbar: 1993 S10 Blazer
Retained Accessory Power: 1995 Chevy Camaro
CD player modified for iPod AUX input: 1995 Buick Riviera
2 piece sunvisors with vanity mirrors: 1994 S10 Blazer
Cargo mat: 1993 Olds Bravada
Dome override switch: 1995 Pontiac TransSport
Glove box lock delete: 1999 GMC Jimmy

Under the hood:
Steering shaft: 1988 Jeep Cherokee

I took about a year off from customizing it because I got bored. Then I bought a junkpile of a 1981 C10 to waste my time with and recently sold that. Now I have a renewed interest in the little Blazer.

Here's how it sites today

I want to add export taillights at some point and fender flares if I can find them.

I also want to put in a second gen console.

To be continued...

Last edited by RetroBlazer; 03-23-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

looking good so far man

I took a liking into your truck from the 1st day

and those European flares would look so nice I might have to look into that my self

Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

You forgot to mention the tissue box mod!

I like all the creative mods you've done, borrowing features from other vehicles. Just goes to show you can do a lot of cool modifications without spending a fortune if you use some creativity! Awesome job!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Starting Member
Arrow

Thanks!

Forgot one more mod...

Reel out underhood light from a 1992 Olds Cutlass.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Good work so far.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Pretty creative , I'll give you that , and it looks great , good job .

Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

looking real good....the mods that make your ride "your ride" are some of the best.
your plans sound good to.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Starting Member

When was the last time you saw a 215,000 mile Blazer that still had one of these...hahaha

Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

wtf i never knew there was covers for them

Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

Haha! You sound like my buddy with the Syclone. I found 2 the last time I was at the yard and grabbed him one and me one. I also found an OBD2 cover for his C6 'vette.

It's just one of those stupid little things that most people would never notice but it still finishes off the interior.

They usually get tossed the first time someone has to check codes.

Quick Reply: Project: One Piece At A Time.