Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Rusted Out POS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default Project Rusted Out POS

now since this section says it is open to any project im going to put in my little project of rebuilding a trailer my dad just got for 100 bucks.

it was an old camper trailer but now is just the frame, and axles. it has 2 axles so we know it can carry a lot. it also has the kinds of wheels where the wheels have the drum built into them, very odd if you have never seen one. primarily i am going to use it to transport my 3 wheelers. or hauling anything and everything. i kind of wanted it to match my blazer since i am going to be towing it with it mostly.

so yesterday i started by changing the wheels and tires, the guy who sold it to us gave us 5 new tires and wheels, (all for 100 bucks!!!!) so this was a steal. the trailer alone is worth more than 100 in steel. so i put on all 4 new tires. since it was my first time changing wheels on a trailer like this i had a little trouble. after i got them on i took it for a test drive and it shakes like a motels vibrating bed. i know i must have not put the tires on right or something cause they are all out of balance. either way i have to take them off to have a look at the drum brakes. one sounds absolutely horrible and i can barely turn it by hand. i also need to redo the wiring since it does not work. also reinforce some spots on the frame with some more steel. (still need to figure out how to use that welder i got) after all is said and done i might sand the whole thing down a bit and paint it black. then either put some plywood or some kind of metal grate down for the floor and then some kind of fence around it.

well let me know what your guys think. i will post some pics later today i hope. if anyone has experience with this kind of stuff your help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 AM

pictures are up:

the suspension:

Tires:

the weird brake drums wheels:

Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Wow that looks pretty darn stout.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
Slayer23 is on a distinguished road

I'm jealous. You got one hell of a deal for a hundred bucks. You should have no problem hauling anything with that. Good score.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Wow that looks pretty darn stout.
yeah. just means i can get it into very small places!!! lol.

anyways going to pull off all the grease seals tonight and see if i cant take a look at the drums to see what condition they are in. ill update you guys on what i find.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I'm gonna give you a tip right now... you may accept it or not. It's just an alternative.

Get those wheels balanced enough so it doesnt jump all over the place, wire on tail/brake lights from harbor freight or Northern tool and sell it as-is to a roofer.

It's stout enough to be a car trailer.. more than, I'm thinking... and the only trailer needs to be that heavy made while not changing the frame is a shingle hauler.*

* In fact I bet that's what it was intended for

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM

it was originally made for a pop top camper. and i put the wheels on the right way this time and took it for a test drive and it is fine now. i just didnt tighten the bolts on the right way or something. as for the brakes, i took them apart and the wheel bearings look brand new. the brakes however are falling apart and are rusted solid. i just took the asbestos pads off so it turns more freely and now it is just a trailer with no brakes. as for lights, it has lights on it already but the wiring is cut and shot in a couple different places. so all i need to do is to run new wiring.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 AM

so the other day i went to mendards and picked up a wiring kit with new lights for 30 bucks. installed it and everything but it was crazy because the lights would work perfectly without my lights on my blazer but as soon as i put them on they would freak out and do the opposite of what they were supposed to do.

turns out i had the wrong white wire as a ground underneath my car when i installed my hitch. fixed the problem right away.

also put a coat of red paint on her yesterday. cut the plywood for the floor so we painted it before that cause if we put the wood on there it would have never gotten painted. so all thats left is attaching the plywood to the trailer and loading the 3 wheelers then im off to bong!!!! i hope they have some good trails over there.

i will update after the day is out with how the trailer and how the blazer performed.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM

so went out to bong with it yesterday. and it was amazing the trailer was very smooth on the highway but very bouncy and noisy on the side streets and such. here are some pictures of it with the load before:

and after lol:

Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Starting Member
j89lumaye is on a distinguished road

i like that suzuki? 185s tires

Quick Reply: Project Rusted Out POS