Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project WTH

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Yeah that bumper is better then the totally shaved ones.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

wow this looks great! when i lost my car, i really got into jimmys and blazers and i always see this blue jimmy thats bagged and got big chrome rims and an extreme body kit and always caught my eye. it looks amazing and so does yours. i will try to find a pic but i know you dont like chrome, but the jimmy is dark blue and it looks good.

nice ride tho, if i got a 2wd i would have the same plans.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 PM
DriftinBlzr is on a distinguished road

Update #1

Three weeks ago, I went to a new Pull-A-Part location and picked up a pair of rear bumper extensions, a pair of rear bumper brackets, license plate light assembly for a '95-97 Blazer/Jimmy. I also picked up a fold down license plate bracket for a mid-80's full size Chevy car. All of this stuff for a few cents over $40.

The reason for the fold down plate bracket is that I want to fab some kind of hidden hitch and have it stick through a hole in the bumper behind the plate when I want to tow something.

Here's what I've done so far. I shaved all the un-needed holes in the license plate area and drilled two new ones for the license plate bracket. Two 8mm nuts were welded to the backside of the bumper for the license plate bracket bolts. The plugs were welded all the way around on the outside and tackwelded for extra reinforcement from the back and then smoothed on the front with a flapdisk and angle grinder. Excuse the splatter as I'm using flux-core wire. I still need to cut the top of the bumper and shave the rest of the holes for the plastic step, and shorten the bumper extensions.

I also got word from my painter that my headlight trim rings, Xtreme grill and airdam are done being colormatched. I got the 2 left side bumper brackets and have the upper right bracket on order. I think I'll be making the lower right hand because I having trouble finding a used one.

The back of the airdam's foglight holes have been cut so that I can eventually run brake ducts from them. My buddy said it'd be easier and look better to cut them before painting than after. I also hardly ever used the foglights on my WRX so I really wasn't bothered by not buying and wiring up new ones for the Blazer.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Update #2

I also when back to Pull-A-Part last weekend and grabbed a fuel injector harness from a '00 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3L V6. The reason...some 2000+ Chrysler vehicles use the same EV6 connectors that the Mercury Marine intake uses. I cut the connector on the main harness side so it will be easier to splice into the Blazer harness. It cost me less than $10 compared to the $30 for 6 EV6 pigtails from eBay.

Here's a pic of my wiring mess. So far the hardest part of it has been figuring out how to pull the pins out of the connectors. Hint: A set of precision screwdrivers works wonders.

While I was messing with the marine intake, I also cut and filed the plate that is riveted to the throttle blade on a spare TB. A pair of tin snips and some files are all that is needed. The TB will be installed with the marine intake.

I also cut a spare A/C compressor/steering pump bracket in half becuase I want to ditch the A/C system. Here are the pics of the bracket after I was done with it.

At the same swap meet where I bought the rear bumper, I picked up a Hirst shift lever for $5. I need to weld a nut on the bottom of the shift lever and buy a shift ****. I'll post pics of that little project when I get to it.

Later, Doug

Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

That front end is going to look sick. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Got my front end installed. My buddy and I also installed the DIY ghetto lip. I thought the $20 for the garage door seal, 3M emblem tape, and some auto trim screws would be worth it to keep from scrapping the bottom of the airdam.

Oh the carnage!!

Looking better...

Finished...

I have fixed the left headlight.

Later, Doug

Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM

To fill the request for Sisk...

And with the Firehawk rims...

Later, Doug

Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Lookin good man! I like those rims. Did you mention somewhere you had a rear bumper/roll pan for it?
The front bumper looks really out of place right now, but I know you'll have more stuff coming eventually to complete the package. Nice work so far!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk
Lookin good man! I like those rims.
Thanks. I picked those up for $400 for the set a couple years ago. I've just kept them in the rafters of the garage until the time was right. The tires that came on them are suppose to be new but are so dry rotted that I don't trust them except for mock-up purposes.

Did you mention somewhere you had a rear bumper/roll pan for it?
Yes, I did. I have a '95-'97 OEM bumper that I'm modding. On post #8, I mentioned it and showed a pic of a black Blazer to show what it will look like when I'm done. Also in "Update #1" there are some pics of the first stage of the rollpan.

The front bumper looks really out of place right now, but I know you'll have more stuff coming eventually to complete the package.
Yeah the bumper looks goofy without any fender flares or side skirts. Although from the front it looks great. The other pieces will come later. I ran out of $$ and it's hard to find Xtreme ground effects cheap.

Later, Doug

Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Looks great man!

Quick Reply: Project WTH