Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

rhino lining my interior!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member
t.lyttle is on a distinguished road
Default rhino lining my interior!

im removing all my carpet and rhino lining my interior....today i started kinda late but i got the cargo areas carpet removed....was fairly easy to remove and to my surprise no rust at all...not even surface rust not bad for 20 years old....tomorrow im gonna remove the rest of the carpet and start laying down the liner...my plan is to leave the carpet out and put down 3 coats of liner and just throw down some heavy duty mats...i mean lets face it mud is BAD for carpet....pics to follow

Attached Thumbnails rhino lining my interior!-carpet-befor-removal-001.jpg   rhino lining my interior!-carpet-befor-removal-002.jpg   rhino lining my interior!-carpet-befor-removal-003.jpg  
Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just remember that the liner, when dry, can be scratchy worse than sandpaper. I have helped RL a couple of Jeep interiors, still looks brand new after 3-4 years..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member

thats fine im not gonna be bare footed..lol...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

make sure you clean all of the surfaces and it helps to scuff them up a little.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Neat idea...I never thought of putting RL inside. Would make it great for muddin' though. Can't wait to see it finished!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Should look good when your done. I helped my buddy do that with his samurai. We used Line-X for his. We also drilled some drain plugs in the floor. That way when the inside gets coated in mud all he has to do is spray her down with the hose.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I just finished that very same project about 3 weeks ago.
About 1/2 way down
You are lucky you did not have that damn adhesive tar crap under your carpets...
Use something electric (wire brush on grinder, rust remover disk on drill, etc) to speed the prep work up. The more you prep the better it goes. Also you should steer clear of the Rhino liner unless you are in love with it, sponsored by them, or have a buddy cutting you a sweet deal. It is not flexable or as easy to repair as the Line-X style liner. Hell I used Herculiner. $75 got me a gallon, a handle, 2 rollers, a scratchy pad, and a 2" paint brush. Everything a growing boy needs to do 3 coats and you'll have a bit left over.

Also while it is tempting to pour it on think, wait until your last coat to go heavy. If you put too much on and it pools up, it will crack and trap moisture defeating the whole point.

I will try to get some finished pics up since those are post 1st coat shots.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
I just finished that very same project about 3 weeks ago.
About 1/2 way down
You are lucky you did not have that damn adhesive tar crap under your carpets...
Use something electric (wire brush on grinder, rust remover disk on drill, etc) to speed the prep work up. The more you prep the better it goes. Also you should steer clear of the Rhino liner unless you are in love with it, sponsored by them, or have a buddy cutting you a sweet deal. It is not flexable or as easy to repair as the Line-X style liner. Hell I used Herculiner. $75 got me a gallon, a handle, 2 rollers, a scratchy pad, and a 2" paint brush. Everything a growing boy needs to do 3 coats and you'll have a bit left over.

Also while it is tempting to pour it on think, wait until your last coat to go heavy. If you put too much on and it pools up, it will crack and trap moisture defeating the whole point.

I will try to get some finished pics up since those are post 1st coat shots.
thanks for the info im gonna look at the herculiner today...thanks for all the info guys...im hopeing to have it all done today...update this later this evening

Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Wink

Walmart for $77 OR go to o'reilly's/checker/schucks and they price match $75 at Walmart. Don't think about the math, just go and price match...
Also if you just use Acetone 9and let it evaporate) you can blow off the nearly impossible to find Xylene they suggest for post-prep, pre-paint wipe down.
You will also need a drill mounted mixing wand since you can't just shake up bedliner. Holy crap and some dishwashing gloves! That stuff is murder to get off skin! Acetone straight just made my whole hand grey

One more thing, if you can leave your windows down and hatch up all night (over ride dome light). The smell of the herc (or any bedliner) curing is a little rough, but not chemically. More like bad candy... you will see. Also if you park in the sun, crack your windows for the first week or so

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-30-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: :nosaeR
Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member

well got rained out cant finish...damn i need a garage..lol...but ill keep this updated...and i couldnt find any liner local....went to the linex store were the do it for ya they told me 985 for two coats...yeah right thats crazy....anyway im gonna use herculiner just have to get it off the web

Quick Reply: rhino lining my interior!