Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member
hey_j00de is on a distinguished road
Default In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection

Okay gents! Last year you all helped me get my 98 Blazer on the road. After over a year of tinkering with it, it runs reliably (for now) to the point where I feel comfortable doing some other things to it. Granted the motor can decide to poop the bed tomorrow, but who knows? It could last me another 10 years.

In any case, I have one hell of a rust infection as I said in the title. The truck was an old fleet vehicle and the guy must have went joy riding in field of wet cement. The underside is more brown and red than metal. I have a Makita grinder on the way from Amazon which I plan to buy a wire brush kit for it and really scrub the crap off - most of the crap is surface rust and should come off with a good scrubbing.

HOWEVER. The body mounts just under the passenger and driver side doors (just before the wheels) are rusted to the 7th ring of hell. There's maybe 30% left of them. (Photos at the end of this paragraph). What should I do? I have no idea. My ideas range from just cutting the bitches off altogether to cutting good ones off an old junkyard Blazer and somehow splicing it into my frame. Either way it's going to be a very aggrivating bit of work. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Driver's side (don't know why the images changed orientation...)

Passenger side.

ALSO can somebody tell me why my wheels are uneven? I tried adjusting the tortion bars because youtube said it may fix it but it didn't (i put them back at their original levels after I realized it wasn't having any effect). Could it be the bad body mounts are making the chassis droop to one side? Or is it a suspension thing? My shocks (Monroe Monotube) are brand new (all 4).

Driver's side

Passenger Side

PLZ HALP.

Thank you all!

Attached Thumbnails In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-rusty-body-mount-driver-side-view-1-30312.jpg   In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-rusty-body-mount-driver-side-view-2-30313.jpg   In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-rusty-body-mount-passenger-side-view-1-30310.jpg   In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-rusty-body-mount-passenger-side-view-2-30311.jpg   In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-why-my-wheels-uneven-driver-side-30314.jpg  

In rust we trust...? One hell of a FeO(OH) infection-hey_j00de-77539-albums-rusty-crap-8375-picture-why-my-wheels-unevem-passenger-side-30315.jpg  
Old 03-03-2015, 05:25 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Tires beeing off is alinment body mounts can be fixed. you can buy replacement body and frame mounts, just to find someone to weld them on for you. Common issue with these Blazers. Can also cause door sag problems

Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Been there, done that, Still need to do the passengers side on the 93 Jimmy. Drivers is already done. What I did was get the floor pan, and the body mount from LMC truck. Weld the body mount in place to the floor pan replacement.. Then measure, measure measure, cut and then weld a new piece in.. Took about 4 hours at the most.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
Been there, done that, Still need to do the passengers side on the 93 Jimmy. Drivers is already done. What I did was get the floor pan, and the body mount from LMC truck. Weld the body mount in place to the floor pan replacement.. Then measure, measure measure, cut and then weld a new piece in.. Took about 4 hours at the most.
Where'd you get the replacement from? Junkyard? You just cut the old one off and welded a new one on? I get the idea I think but the technical side (how to actually physically do it) is the hard part for me.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
Tires beeing off is alinment body mounts can be fixed. you can buy replacement body and frame mounts, just to find someone to weld them on for you. Common issue with these Blazers. Can also cause door sag problems
Alignment can fix the elevation of the tires...?

I found a body-mount kit with new rubber donuts, gonna buy and install once I replace these rotten ones.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

OK missread body mounts are most likely the culprit. Do them first then check

Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i had a old s10 that started about that bad, the body mounts literally fell out so i just shoved some wood in there which eventually just smashed into the floor when the body split in half and fell down on the frame. so needless to say you probably want to fix that before the floor starts splitting

Old 03-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
i had a old s10 that started about that bad, the body mounts literally fell out so i just shoved some wood in there which eventually just smashed into the floor when the body split in half and fell down on the frame. so needless to say you probably want to fix that before the floor starts splitting
Well crap. Thanks for the warning... I'm going to get on it ASAP.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hey_j00de
Where'd you get the replacement from? Junkyard? You just cut the old one off and welded a new one on? I get the idea I think but the technical side (how to actually physically do it) is the hard part for me.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
Got it all on Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com
you could cut the old one out and weld the new one in.. but there is not much room to work with under there.

I had to remove a section of my floor because the floor was gone.

When you get the new ones, take the body mount bolt to a hard ware store, get a nut that is the right size and thread, and weld it to the new cab mount to make bolting it back to the body easier, otherwise you will need to cut a hole in the rocker to get a wrench in there to hold the nut in place.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
Got it all on Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com
you could cut the old one out and weld the new one in.. but there is not much room to work with under there.

I had to remove a section of my floor because the floor was gone.

When you get the new ones, take the body mount bolt to a hard ware store, get a nut that is the right size and thread, and weld it to the new cab mount to make bolting it back to the body easier, otherwise you will need to cut a hole in the rocker to get a wrench in there to hold the nut in place.
No luck finding the part... they have everything except for the bracket itself. Gonna have to cut a few off a poor Blazer at the junkyard. HOWEVER this is an excellent resource for finding other odds and ends I am in need of... thank you for sharing!

I guess step 1 is go salvage the parts I need from the junkyard. Either this weekend or next; depending on the weather.

Will let you guys know how this project progresses! Thanks so much for your input!