Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 PM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road
Default Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build

Well this will definitely be a very slow build for now, just started working a lot so not much time and still getting more financially stable so the mods will slowly roll in for now, big plans though hopefully! Got a lot of ideas for things I'd like to do from Rexmburns and Steinbruchsoldat on here, so definitely open to suggestions!

Since I got the truck 2 weeks or so ago I have:
-Removed front valence/fascia
-Replaced BOTH motor mounts (they were totally gone..)
-Cranked Tbars about 1" to stiffen up the suspension and level out a bit
-Floor mats

Few plans I have:
-Recovery Gear and organized camping gear
-Monstaliner rockers, fenders, and bumpers (possibly the rims as well depending on when I do it, etc.)
-Roof Rack
-Lights
-Lift (Either shackles and tbar crank or RC 2.5" lift
-Larger A/T tires (maybe 30"-31", What do you guys think? Looking for no rub and minimal to zero trimming with the 2.5" lift)
-Cragar Soft 8 wheels
-Maybe a 2" PA Body lift (after I need new tires after the new ones I plan to get)
-Custom stereo and speakers/subs

Definitely looking for suggestions for things, not one to have tunnel vision on a project, and any all suggestions are welcome.

Here's a beginning photo the day I brought her home.
Name:  625650_607163462631236_1680803510_n_zps91c17d47.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  84.7 KB

And then with the Valence gone and some mud, just a little though... Ended up losing the bead on the passenger side wheel so I threw the spare on and had it reset at Discount tire the next day.

Attached Thumbnails Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build-blazer_zpsc21027dc.jpg   Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build-blazer2_zps50ddf389.jpg   Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build-blazer3_zpsb5ab1ab5.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

with the 2.5" lift, you should be able to fit 31's with out a problem.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Twip
with the 2.5" lift, you should be able to fit 31's with out a problem.
Thanks! Hopefully going to hit a few pick-a-part and pick N pull places this weekend to see if I can't find a few items on my list.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Glad to see you got your build thread up and started!! Looks like you had a little fun as well! The only flaw I see in your plan and its not really even a flaw is that you can't put bedliner on the wheels. I have read several discusions about it on the net and the ones who have tried have not been able to get a good balance on the wheels afterwards. If anything just paint them with regular paint and they will still look nice or go with the soft 8s or rockcrawlwers like I have

Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

One comment I would chip in regarding your build is it looks like you took the front skid plate off too. Even the cheap plastic one will protect your engine bay quite a bit. I would put that back on, or if it was missing when you got it I would suggest finding a set of the aluminum or carbon fibre ones. Having that skid plate will actually affect your fuel mileage and engine cooling too. With it gone it disrupts the air flow and creates high pressure coming in from the bottom of the engine bay rather than drawing air through the radiator. The same high pressure/turbulence also hurts your fuel economy by making your Blazer even less aerodynamic than it was before.

Other than that it looks like you have some great plans. I look forward to seeing how your build goes.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Glad to see you got your build thread up and started!! Looks like you had a little fun as well! The only flaw I see in your plan and its not really even a flaw is that you can't put bedliner on the wheels. I have read several discusions about it on the net and the ones who have tried have not been able to get a good balance on the wheels afterwards. If anything just paint them with regular paint and they will still look nice or go with the soft 8s or rockcrawlwers like I have
Yeah I've been busy with work and it's been raining a lot here so I didn't have time to do much. And thanks for the suggestion on the wheel paint, I really in the end plan to go with cragars or rockcrawlers like you've got so I'm not too worried about whether I paint the wheels or not.

One comment I would chip in regarding your build is it looks like you took the front skid plate off too. Even the cheap plastic one will protect your engine bay quite a bit. I would put that back on, or if it was missing when you got it I would suggest finding a set of the aluminum or carbon fibre ones. Having that skid plate will actually affect your fuel mileage and engine cooling too. With it gone it disrupts the air flow and creates high pressure coming in from the bottom of the engine bay rather than drawing air through the radiator. The same high pressure/turbulence also hurts your fuel economy by making your Blazer even less aerodynamic than it was before.

Other than that it looks like you have some great plans. I look forward to seeing how your build goes.
It came with the skid plate but that little access door would fly around and not stay closed so I was working on fixing that, really want to build a more custom one that looks better though.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Been a bit MIA lately. Work has been a real time kill and instead of investing the little time and money I have into the fun upgrades and mods I've been crammed underneath my truck replacing the Idler Arms and BOTH lower ball joints. Idler Arm was last weekend and took a total of about 6 hours with all of the runs to autoparts stores and both ball joints took 17 hours total, 11 for the driver side and 5 and a half for the passenger. Now a $50 alignment and I'll be moving on to something new.

After I finished the ball joints today though I drove down the street to make sure everything was back in place and get some lunch and as I came to a stop my ABS lamp came on AND my brakes felt a bit choppy, like the ABS was confused and engaging slowly. I'm thinking Rotors may just not be sitting right or something wrong with my sensor, it only did the choppy stop the first two times I pressed the pedal and the brakes work fine. Any suggestions or comments? Hoping this will be a quick fix and I can save some money on it.

While I was doing the lower joints I noticed the play in the uppers were diminishing, hoping for more life left in them but they'll probably be following soon along with the Pitman Arm. Pretty much doing the same as Rexmburns, just add Ball Joints and a lot of labor hours.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

well atleast the hard ones are done, and check the abs sensor, i had a issue before and it got a glob of grease on it, cleaned it and work fine

Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Check your abs sensors at the wheels. It's common for them to be damaged or just dirty after moving things around in there!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
well atleast the hard ones are done, and check the abs sensor, i had a issue before and it got a glob of grease on it, cleaned it and work fine
Check your abs sensors at the wheels. It's common for them to be damaged or just dirty after moving things around in there!
Yeah there was quite a bit of gunk under there so I'll definitely try that, thanks. Not on my top priority list this weekend since I spent 17 hours under there already...

Decided I'd reward myself for the weekend of hard work too!

Quick hike to the top of the 600 foot cliff at Canyon Lake near where I live. Oh and by the way I'm a photographer, this was shot by myself.

Attached Thumbnails Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build-selfhdr_zpse7911782.jpg  

Last edited by 1999BlueMobile; 03-24-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Small 1999 Chevy Blazer LS Build