Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Started on my 1980 K5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member
Imperator is on a distinguished road
Default Started on my 1980 K5

Well today was the first day off for me since i bought the blazer.
We started at 12:00 because my buddy had to work till then.
We started with pulling the steering pump out. The pressure hose was leaking for quite a while i guess, so we figured that the pump ran dry for a while and died. It started squeaking and it sounded like the whole car cried.
After figuring out how to fit the new pump in, it took a couple tries but eventually i got the pump in straight in the reservoir. If i knew how much rocks (or animals???) the reservoir had catched. I'd got a new one too.
With the new pump in the car steers so nice and smooth.....

Then we started to do a tune up so we begone to change sparks and the distributor cap, rotor and at the end the wires. Al very gently of course or we'd mess up the ignition.

In between we changed one mirror, the old one was very rusty.
We tightened the other one witch missed a bolt and was kind of wobbly.

After the first bit of tune up i started working on the exhaust. There was no gasket sitting between the manifold and the pipes. The bolts where missing every 2nd thread and someone used copper nuts. We had to drill one bolt out of the manifold. Luckily the only one which we could reach with a drill. Of course one of the smaller drills broke off and we had to kill 3 more to get that one out. After an hour of drilling we had only a few centimeters left so we decided to hammer the last bit out. Using a punch and a big hammer.
I replaced the bolt with a stainless steel one. All of the other bolts were still usable so i put in a gasket and just swapped the copper nuts for steel.

We found that some previous owner of the car was a little on the generous side of oil filling. Almost 1 liter over the max.

Around 21:00 we fired the engine up and let the oil get smooth(and hot). After spilling the first stream of oil on the floor (of course i forgot that there was a bit too much and the pressure was a little high...)
i had to start wrestling with the oil filter. Luckily i didn't have to drive the screwdriver through it and it just came of after 15minutes of pulling with a oil filter wrench. After getting half of the oil hidden in the filter down my jacket i got it off and let it run into the basket.

Just some new oil in the car and we where done. Now i need some new door locks because the ones i have got no keys. I only have two ignition keys. The trunk hatch got locked in a mysterious way.

So the to do list for the next weeks:

change locks
fix rear window regulator
clean out interior
Check the electrical system
Replace bolts in trunk hatch for stainless steel ones
fix temperature sensor/meter/cable???
get the welding done on fenders and 1/4panels
patch up paintwork
stainless headers, pipes and flowmasters!!
dashboard lights, not all work.
install audio

thats it for now. Sorry for the bad english but hey if i wrote it in dutch you guys wouldn't get it i guess. Also the story is a bit long. I tried to describe some details so some other person could use it someday.

Take care and feel free to respond!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good start!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 AM
Beginning Member

I'll try to post some pic's this week. Monday i have the first cruise with my us-car club. So that means cleaning on sunday!!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 AM
the big ragu is on a distinguished road

Have fun....I started on my 72 K-5

Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Beginning Member

Just came back from the wash box. My tailgate weatherstrip is shot. I just finished geting the inside of the gate somehow dry again. I already found sone new ones but don't have time to pick em up. I'm gonna start polishing today. See how far i get and tomorrow the interior.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Beginning Member

Wohoo it started raining
I just can fit the front end under my carport cause there is a door that's being painted in the way. So i got the front end done and i polished all the chrome.

I put 2 pic's in. One is front end polished and the other one my shot weatherstrip.

Attached Thumbnails Started on my 1980 K5-imag0176.jpg   Started on my 1980 K5-imag0178.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

She sure seems to have cleaned up nicely. I may have to get me one of them K5's

Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

nice pic of the shine job brother. i always liked that odd-ball front end of the '80 Chev p/u's & Blazer's.

i hear ya on the tail gate weather strip, my 'Burb came from the sunny south, and it to is shot-and mine is 10 years younger than yours!