Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Watch the width of the rims, being that low, you might run into wheel well rubbing... I'll be around the sonoma over the weekend, can take a look at how they mounted the rear end. I saw they altered mounting locations of leaf springs brakets and other component, depending on the rides, 2wd/4x4/zr2.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
Watch the width of the rims, being that low, you might run into wheel well rubbing... I'll be around the sonoma over the weekend, can take a look at how they mounted the rear end. I saw they altered mounting locations of leaf springs brakets and other component, depending on the rides, 2wd/4x4/zr2.
Lemme know what you find for sure!

Removing the leaf has changed a lot! It rides so smooth... Like butter... I guess if I wanna lower the rear back down ill need 2 degree axle shims since bad pinion caused it and take out the bumpstop bracket but honestly I like the small rake. Just need to figure out what to do with the wheel gap.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran

Foward leaf spring mount. They are longer on zr2s i know for sure, cant think if they are longer on the 4x4s

Rear mounting locations

This is the wifes 02 sonoma 2wd with the zq8 package

Old 03-14-2021, 12:20 PM
Starting Member

Foward leaf spring mount. They are longer on zr2s i know for sure, cant think if they are longer on the 4x4s

Rear mounting locations

This is the wifes 02 sonoma 2wd with the zq8 package
Only difference I really see on the Zq8 is one less leaf than my pack. It is still getting a very minimal vibration but I think its just normal for these trucks at this point... I'm kinda at the point of giving up trying to narrow it down. Next thing I really wanna do is paint match the rear window trim. Looks like a fun project since you can't take the window trim out... I see two screws on the back which leads me to think you can take it out but heard theres some sort of adhesive glue that you'll need to pry the window out of. Ugh

Old 03-14-2021, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran

The 2 doors are glued to the windows I believe. But taping off will do the trick.

Does your jimmy have the 2 piece driveshaft? Could need to get it rebuilt. I have a vibration, and my mechanic believe it is the problem,I agree with him as it's the only thing that hasn't been maintained from previous owner.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:49 PM
Starting Member

The 2 doors are glued to the windows I believe. But taping off will do the trick.

Does your jimmy have the 2 piece driveshaft? Could need to get it rebuilt. I have a vibration, and my mechanic believe it is the problem,I agree with him as it's the only thing that hasn't been maintained from previous owner.
Mines a one piece. Last I knew it was basically right on point. Wonder what shop could inspect that without having to pay a fortune... would be nice for a shop to confirm but afraid I'd be hit with a bill that costs more than the vehicle.

Funny thing is when the registration letter came in this year it said the vehicles value is $250 🤣

Gotta add its leaning on the driver side both in the rear and front... wonder what that's about.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:09 PM
Starting Member

Honestly dunno whats going on but the Jimmy rides just fine again... So weird... Well as long as its still driving its still my vehicle to deal with lol

So FB marketplace scrolling and I found a red Chevy Blazer rollpan with the shortened side skirts for $100. Its in Nashville so about an hours drive but Im sure the Jimmy can make it that far... Itll be a nice addition seen as the rear end looks ugly with the step bumper. I may be getting rid of the spare tire carrier I literally drilled holes in the body for like 9 months ago already.

Also looking at tires I saw some people on the forums going for like 25"-26" tires for lowered vehicles... Wondering how those would do. That is the people with lowered vehicles on stock 15s. Im sorta tempted to do a 26" tire front and back but have the rears with a 10" wide tire. Any thoughts? Current tires are like 28.9" so it would drop it some more and not to mention they look cheaper than replacement 235/75/15s lol

Old 03-19-2021, 03:34 PM
Starting Member

Well I got the rollpan... Didnt think id have to cut the frame but looks like atleast 3" will need to go or more. Not to mention I dont think my trailer hitch will fit under it... May have to ditch the hitch altogether or cut the rollpan to fit it right under. I want to keep the hitch since there really isnt any support back there with a rollpan haha

Gonna paint white and get to work soon enough. Its a red rollpan and Id rather not bolt it up while its still red... Not to mention cutting the frame means no more stock bumper ever again

Old 03-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Starting Member

Well appears I have a head gasket or LIM gasket failure again... Losing coolant, bubbling coolant, white smoke out exhaust, and a burning smell of... I think oil from the rear of the engine leaking over the trans and getting everywhere (Cant tell if its coolant or oil. Nose doesnt work).

Man... Not sure how its already blown after 12k miles... Maybe I didnt drive it nice enough the first 500 miles or I did something wrong on the install... Either way seems I need to just buy a secondary vehicle to drive for whenever this rig is down. Cant have no vehicle for a week.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:55 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Just curious what head gaskets did you go with?

Quick Reply: Torbinator's Cheap Jimmy