Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

trying to ID yr & model from frame part #

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Bach is on a distinguished road
Question trying to ID yr & model from frame part #

This may seem a bit unusual but here goes: I have an older (yr?) 2WD blazer chassis (I believe) and need to identify the year and model it came from so I can get the appropriate shop manual and parts to complete a build out using a custom body.

A friend picked up the chassis for me about 5 years ago and he's sure it was on a 2WD Blazer but doesn't recall the year or any other details. The chassis and my custom aluminum body have been in storage for the past 5 years and now I'm finally in a position to take on the project and it would really help to know what the year and model was.

Does anyone know how I can figure this out? the only identifying #s I've been able to find on the frame are: 14040601
1 197 5(I believe) 1 770
18 861 1

That's basically the way the numbers appear stamped into the frame on the driver's side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Bach

Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Have any pictures of the frame?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this thread.

Are those numbers written down the way they are on the frame? grouped the same way?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been able to find hardly any information about the frame numbers. These frames are made up of several different pieces, the part numbers for each separate piece being stamped into each component. Some pieces that were the same for a given set of frames in a given location (front, middle, rear, etc) were not stamped (cross members, etc). The rails were stamped to identify them for their intended use (short or long box trucks, blazer's, suburbans, etc). These were numbers used internal to GM.

As I said in the thread linked to above, I will try to see what, if any, information is in my factory parts list & illustration manuals, but I am not holding my breath.