Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Beginning Member
bigschmerm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)

This is my Blazer. I have a very young son, so I get very little time to work, but this is whats up so far. It started out as a well kept truck with nice blue paint. Then my dad smashed it up a couple times and destroyed both doors, both front fenders, the hood, the grill, and the bumper. I wanted to make it a street truck. It was a 4x4 but I started having problems with the 4WD. Then, as soon as I started getting serious with the body work the tranny went out. So I bought a new tranny, gutted my transfer case, removed the chain and striped the output shaft of all the gears, and welded the sleeve into the 2wheel high position, removed the front driveshaft, and yoke, welded up a block off plate, and finished it all off with a few coats of green aviation epoxy primer. Eventually I will replace all of the front end components with those from a 2WD so I can drop it more than 2in in the front.
Ill have some more info, and some pics of the drivetrain on here soon. They are in my profile pics already.

Im designing and fabricating a set of fender flares and side skirts right now. I have always hated the fact that you can clearly see the frame hanging down when standing at the side of the truck. Theese skirts will take care of that, they will also give the truck a much lower stance and appear to have a shorter overall profile. Since I am bonding them directly to the body, there will be no attachment lines, therfore a much cleaner look.

Up front will be a Sierra face, Lightning style front bumper cover, MATCHING mesh grill inserts,"I cant stand it when people have 2 or 3 different types of grill material in the front of their ride", Cobra cowl induction hood, and eventually a set of 05 Range Rover headlights, "as soon as I can find the blinkers".

The paint scheme will be a 2 tone, the entire upper half will all be wraped in carbon fiber, and the bottom will be a custom metallic white pearl made with house of kolor products.

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-blazer-driver-profile-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-blazer-driver-profile-05.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-img_0228.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-front-blazer-lightning-02.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-hood-cobra-cowl-style.jpg  

Last edited by bigschmerm; 09-25-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

Definitely looks alot better than when you started. Keep it up can't wait to see it complete.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
Default drivetrain

Here are some before and after pics.

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-crossmember-02.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-crossmember-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-driveshaft-02.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-driveshaft-01.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member
Default Drivetrain

More pics

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-flywheel-cover-bottom-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-flywheel-cover-bottom-03.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-flywheel-cover-metalflake.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-my-garage-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-output-shaft-sleeve-tungsten-weld.jpg  

Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
Default Drivetrain

By eliminating the 4wd and modifying the transfer case, I removed at least 60lbs of rotational weight directly from the driveline. My MPG have increased by a landslide. I wish I would have calculated my mileage before, so I would know exactly how much of an improvement it is.
P.S. if this sounds like a good idea to you, dont do it. Its just as effective to replace your 4L60 tranny with a 700R and a new crossmember. And probably about 10 times easier. Unless you are an incredibly skilled mechanic/welder/fabricator/machinist."wich I am not" luckily I had an incredible welder and an incredible machinist who were willing to lend a hand.

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-output-shaft-stripped-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transfer-case-02.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transfer-case-03.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transfer-case-complete-01.jpg  

Last edited by bigschmerm; 09-25-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member
Default Drivetrain

More Pics.
I cant even begin to tell you how much fun it was dropping the old one out and installing the new one all by my F'n self.

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transmission-left-01.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transmission-left-02.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-transmission-02.jpg  

Last edited by bigschmerm; 09-18-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

Lol oh yea I bet that was all kinds of fun. I've never done a trans on a lifted truck before but helped my buddy do his dads 72 camaro and helped my dad do the 67 barracuda and they aren't any fun WITH help so I can imagine without. The good thing is that it's making progress. Looks to be coming along good!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

your bodykit looks nice so far

Old 09-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Beginning Member
Default More info

Thanks, Its coming along, slowly but surely. I have actually been able to get some work done this weekend, hopefully I can finish the body kit tomorrow. Should have some new pics up tomorrow night.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member
Default Another step foreward

Well, I didnt get as far as I would have liked to but at least I made some progress. The driver side is pretty much done. Just a little more fine sculpting and shaping, then it will get a coat of epoxy and kevlar. The passenger side is very close as well. Hopefuly I can have it ready for paint by Friday.
Here are my latest pics, and my new Sierra grill with Grillcraft MX Series Mesh.

Attached Thumbnails A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-white-grill.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-front-driver-profile-00.jpg   A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)-front-driver-profile-01.jpg  

Quick Reply: A year in the making, my 94 Blazer (full size)