Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Z28 Rim Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Z28 Rim Restoration

Well guys I finally picked up a set of wheels(four) plus two extras, one for a spare and the other will replace the most damaged rim that came with the initial set of four, IT only $60 bucks for the extra two so i figured why not. Anyways im just starting and will update the thread as I go. When I first picked up the rims they had already been used on an S10 ZR2 with 31 BFG AT on them so I figured I would mount em just for the hell of it. I will attach some pictures.

PREP: So far on the rims I have dismounted the tires and began to prep the rims. To start this I picked up a can of Mar-Hyde Aircraft stripper to strip the Clear coat and also the previous paint on the rims. This stuff works awsome, just spray it on wait ten min and when you return to the wheel all of the existing Paint/ Clear coat peels right off with one easy swipe of a plastic scrapper. I will post pictures of this process.

PAINT: I plan to use duplicolour brand Wheel Products. the process I plan to use is as follows. Two coats of Aluminium etching primer followed by two coats of colour followed by two coats of clear.

Any suggestions please feel free to post. I have looked into the powdercoating route but i feel that it would defy the reason i purchased these rims rather than buy new due to the cost of powdercoating/ prep for the powdercoating.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

make sure you sand them really good. I'd use at least 2 coats of clear coat. those are my favorite rims.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

wash.yer.truck

You dirty Canadian!

What color are you painting them? Keeping the 31's? Should look awesome, especially with the matching spare. I have to get a matching spare for my set as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Starting Member

Im gonna do the standard black inners that Willjones made so famous. I actually have a set of 30 x 9.5 Firestone Destination AT's that I picked up for $300 bucks with brand new tread on them to mount.

And yes it is dirty, funny thing is I washed it the night before and an hour later it absolutly poured with rain and buggered it all up.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yours is starting to remind me of willjones blazer

Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

yeah, that is what I was thinking when you get done painting them I think it will look pretty much exactly like Willjones.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
What color are you painting them?
Are you going to keep the stock colour in addition to the black, or are you gunna give it a new coat of silver?

Blazer is lookin good! Good to see someone so close putting some effort into their Blazer. Everyone in Lloyd just runs theirs into the ground.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Kr.Fabs is on a distinguished road

hey... i like those tires.

no progress on these things yet??

Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Starting Member

I wish they were done, I got stupidly busy and just when I thought I had time to breath I broke my boat this weekend, Now I get to fix that and hopefully finish the rims in the next two weeks.

Good to hear you like the tires, How are they working out?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I would go with many many more than 2 coats of clear on wheels. I would use at least one can per wheel or more. Wheels take the worst beating.

They are gonna look hot, nice find.

Quick Reply: Z28 Rim Restoration