Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Anyone know how to buff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM
wdb4719 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know how to buff?

Hi,
I am new to the forums. Tried searching google and around here on the forums. My question is if there is a good how to article anyone knows about on buffing.I just bought a buffer today and plan on doing some car cleaning over thanksgiving break. I think i understand the general conept. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice.
Thanks,
Wells

Old 11-13-2007, 07:49 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Anyone know how to buff?

if you want to see what buff really looks like i can send you a pic of myself. lol. the main thing is cover evenly and make sure you dont burn through the clear. try to keep just a portion of your pad on the body you dont lay it flat on there

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
wdb4719 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do i "burn" through the clear. I am not even entirely sure what the "clear" is. I mean, i don't even really understand what buffing is to be entirely honest. I think its basically just waxing, but with a buffer. I may be wrong though. Please forgive me, i am a total nooby to cars.
Thanks,
Wells

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

The clear is the clear coat, its sprayed on over top your paint to protect it. If you hold your buffer in the same spot too long, it will burn through the clear coat, and then it will be just your bare paint exposed, and its a lot easier for it to get messed up. So apply your wax with something BESIDES your buffer, a clean towel or you can buy pads specificly for it at autozone or advance, maybe even wally world. After it sets for a couple minutes ( it will feel kinda dry to the touch) go over it with your buffer to take it off. Be sure to keep it moving, just go back and forth with it.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I don't like to use buffers. It produces light swirl marks over time and makes the paint look like it has spider webs all over it. I have always gotten better results with afoam/cloth applicator and a microfibertowel to take it off. Thats not to say you can't get good results with a buffer, I use it on large vehicles (ahem, Suburban). But thats only to save a little time.

What kind of buffer do you have? Orbital, circular, or grinder attachment?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of buffer did you buy? I would be its a 20 buck thing from wal mart right? those are junk, just electric waxers. blznlowxtreme you were wrong with you say just use an edge of a buffer, THATS how you burn thru the clear coat. You need EVEN pressure on the panel, not just 1 spot of the edge of the pad.If you bought a REAL buffer such as dewalt /blue point ect. (which i don't think you did) then you have no business using it if you don't even know what clear is. You will do more harm than good.

euro:thetrick to not getting swirls is to use swirl remover. Only problem good compounds are expensive

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM

i llove using a buffer but like 10pinsaid the good compounds are expensive

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM
89K5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually igot10 if you buff correctly you wont get swirls no matter what. You want to keep enough EVEN pressure on the whole thing not just 1 spot. You ride the edge of the buffer or the pad watch out. You're going to have major problems and then you're going to need a paint job. You don't need a real expensive compound just a descent 1 and I use Mother's. And Euro the spider webs are from using a rag to wash or dry your car. It's best to use a microfiber towel of if you have air tools or have access to them use a air gun to dry your car with a towel. The more you use a towel the more of a chance you have of scratching the paint cause something's on the towel that you can't see or you get the spider web looking crap on the car.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

well. your wrong.

When you use compounds with grit and a wool pad. You will get swirl marks, NO MATTER WHAT. I'm a painter for a living, and if you tell me you can buff a dark car without getting swirls your crazy.

I can get away with just buffing down silver/gold/white cars with no swirl remover, but with darker colors you need to use the heavier compounds because the sand scratchs from when you sand the clear down are harder to get out.

also. If you buffed and didn't get swirls, why would they make swirl remover? lol

your mothers compound is not very good, . 3M makes great products for buffing

ORIGINAL: 89K5

Actually igot10 if you buff correctly you wont get swirls no matter what. You want to keep enough EVEN pressure on the whole thing not just 1 spot. You ride the edge of the buffer or the pad watch out. You're going to have major problems and then you're going to need a paint job. You don't need a real expensive compound just a descent 1 and I use Mother's. And Euro the spider webs are from using a rag to wash or dry your car. It's best to use a microfiber towel of if you have air tools or have access to them use a air gun to dry your car with a towel. The more you use a towel the more of a chance you have of scratching the paint cause something's on the towel that you can't see or you get the spider web looking crap on the car.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM

i agree w/ 10 pins. 3m make alot better product and if you can buff w/o getting swirl marks you must have a golden touch

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to buff?