Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/)
-   -   getting mirrors black again... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/detailing-23/getting-mirrors-black-again-9859/)

EuroGoldLS 04-04-2007 09:19 PM

getting mirrors black again...

On my 2000it has power defrost mirrors, (the most expensive mirrors). When I got it, the previous owner had tried some kind of cleaner on the mirrors that left faded patches on them. Its not a big prob but it would be nice not to have to look at faded mirrors while I detail, which is about every week. I have tried mothers back to black didn't work very well. Tried Bondo black trim restoration.Nothing seems to work, protectant and shine can hide it if you are looking at it from a good ten feet away. Anyone know of anything that will work?

rabbit0102030 04-06-2007 08:49 PM

RE: getting mirrors black again...

Are these spots almost like a dirty white or grey color?

EuroGoldLS 04-07-2007 01:45 AM

kinda gray.

TheBrettster 04-07-2007 04:56 AM

rustolium black spray paint. i would sand the mirror smooth first.

rabbit0102030 04-07-2007 10:58 AM

IMO I would never use spray paint on my truck and I wouldn't sand down this particular part either for cosmetic reasons (this morror will come out smooth without sanding and you run the risk of deep scratches in the plastic if you sand it). You have two choices 1. Buy new stock or aftermarket mirrors, this is a chance for an upgrade, and have a shop paint them, or 2. Remove them from your truck and have a body shop spray them with the proper paint, a good chance to have them sprayed to match your body color which IMO looks very good, if you have them sprayed black they will probably use an interior type paint because they are tough but almost no gloss like the mirror used to be. If you use spray paint your asking to spray it every six months or so due to fading.

hillbillyinOhio 04-07-2007 11:16 AM

I knew I had a bookmark on this subject (i think) and i finally found it. it is from another s-forum, but it is a great write-up with pics! It works wonderfully!! Cleaning Exterior Plastic

There is a few mentions of off-color language, but nothing that would be deemed nws.

TheBrettster 04-07-2007 02:53 PM

You wont have any scratches if you wet sand it with cutting gel. We would do this all the time at the limo shop on older vehicles and you couldn't tell the difference between the spray painted and old.

rabbit0102030 04-07-2007 03:04 PM

True, but the mirrors on our trucks are textured already, you don't need to sand them to get a completly smooth surface. My truck is proof.

davtak 04-16-2007 12:35 AM

Have you tried Mothers Back to Black. I used it on my mirrors and cowl strip and that was three weeks ago and they are still black as can be. Even after many rain storms, including this dreary cold rain storm the north east is enduring right now.

davtak 04-16-2007 12:37 AM

Doh, didn't rear you're post clearly enough. I went back and saw that you used it alreday. Sorry, I don't know how I missed that.