Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

HOW TO: Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HOW TO: Detailing

Detailing. Most people think this consists of washing and waxing your Blazer. Some think it consists of a wash, wax, engine degreasing, interior vaccum and shampoo, tire and interior protectants, and basically making your Blazer look and smell brand new. Whether your Blazer is lifted or lowered, muddy or street clean, everyone should take time to detail! If not for the looks of your vehicle, at least for the value. Fully detailing your Blazer at least once a month could make all the difference between getting a “fair condition” trade-in or appraisal and an “excellent condition” trade-in or appraisal.
The first step is to do an evaluation of the detailing needed on your Blazer. There are three areas you want to assess: Paint & Body, Tire & Wheel, and Interior.
Assess your Paint
How does your Blazer look? Is it obviously dirty, or is it slightly dusty? Take a few minutes to really search the body of your Blazer and find tough to clean spots such as, road tar, bug splats, tree sap, and water contamination spots. Touch the paint with your fingertips. Does it feel dirty and gritty or is it smooth?
If your Blazer is already relatively clean and smooth, then you just need a simple wash. You will need a lamb’s wool mitt, 3 gallon bucket, Car Wash detergent (please do not use dish soap!), and a wheel & tire brush. Always wash from top to bottom, and always save the tires and wheels for last. Brake dust from wheels can cause micro-scratches on the surface of your paint. Before washing with the mitt, do a quick rinse of the entire exterior using a back and forth sweeping motion, from top to bottom. Wash the body with your mitt, wring it out each time before you dunk it in your soap bucket, to keep large contaminants out of the bucket and prevent paint damage. Use the wheel & tire brush and your soap bucket to clean your wheels & tires only after you have washed the painted surfaces. If needed for dirty or stubborn stained wheels, use an approved cleaner on your wheels, one at a time. After washing, thoroughly rinse off all the soap, and dry with a chamois. I recommend using the real thing, and not the inexpensive alternatives.
If your paint is dirty, gritty, and possibly stained then you need a good thorough cleaning. You will want to follow the same steps above and you may want to go the professional detailers way and use a pre-wax cleaner or a clay bar system to remove heavy contaminants that washing alone cannot remove.
When your Blazers paint is finally clean and smooth to the touch, you should check for swirl marks, scratches, water spots, and any tough to clean spots that you may have missed. You can take out any imperfections with a good polish before you wax. I f you have any deep scratches in the clear coat then now is the time to take care of them with a good scratch remover. If the scratch is through the clear coat, and into the paint or primer, then you should seek a body shop. Professionals can match your color better than a touch up paint will. Once your paint is in a clean, smooth, polished state, then it is time to move onto waxing. Be sure to let the body of your Blazer cool to the touch before applying any wax. Make sur you are in a shaded area (not under a tree), preferably in a garage. In four to five square foot sections at a time, apply the wax according to the Wax manufacturers instructions, and remember that a little goes a long way. Buff the wax off with a microfiber towel or other similar towel. Go back over it one more time with a clean microfiber towel to polish, and catch any spots you may have missed. Next, take it outside in the sunlight and do a quick walkaround, noting any smudges or swirls. Let your Blazer sit for a few minutes in the sun to warm the paint up. This will help you remove any heavy wax spots, by warming the wax and making it easier to buff off. Back in the shade, use your microfiber towel too, hit the spots you noted, to make i

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HOW TO: Detailing

Very Nice write-up Just did mine last week.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recomend using a clay bar if you car's clear coat is fading. You will have deminishing returns.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:00 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Also, designate a day of the week (if car is black: every other day, lol)to wash your car and get into the habit of it. Cleanliness of your car reflects on you. A dirty car will make people think you are careless. (unless its covered with fresh mud*)

And also, an interior is only stinky because you made it stink.

*I like muddy cars if it is a girl behind the wheel.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: TheBrettster

I wouldn't recomend using a clay bar if you car's clear coat is fading. You will have deminishing returns.
If your clear coat is fading, it is because you don't detail your vehicle. It's kinda obvious you won't be using a clay bar on your vehicle if you won't even take the time to wash and wax it once a month. If your clear is fading, it needs a wet sand and a couple new coats of clear, and then TAKE CARE OF IT....by detailing it at least once a month!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: rabbit0102030

ORIGINAL: TheBrettster

If your clear coat is fading, it is because you don't detail your vehicle. It's kinda obvious you won't be using a clay bar on your vehicle if you won't even take the time to wash and wax it once a month. If your clear is fading, it needs a wet sand and a couple new coats of clear, and then TAKE CARE OF IT....by detailing it at least once a month!
Believe it or not, my nieghbor has a 1998 Sable with no clear and he was out there claybaring it and left some wax on the car for about 4 hours in the sun.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Your neighbor is nuts.......[sm=icon_beat.gif]and needs to be beat with a stick! LOL! Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this How To.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

i have never hand washed my blazer

Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 PM
tjwiens91@hotmail.co is an unknown quantity at this point

It really sucks living in minnesota sometimes. i cant really wash my blazer in the winter outside so i have to rely on gas station car washes. or go to a self serve but there a little spendy.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
chainsaw is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 93 blazer, clear coat has seen better days, but i want to clay bar it. Any other options? and why will a clay bar not work as well? does it not still take off mirco surface contaminants?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Detailing