Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

How to remove door moulding/badge without ruining paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member
reapher is on a distinguished road
Default How to remove door moulding/badge without ruining paint?

I have a 2001 blazer, unfortunately the previous owner tried to put in a door from a 95 or something and it's got a different moulding like in the picture (NOT MY BLAZER) here as well as an LS badge when it's an LT blazer . Since I am putting the correct things back on over the paint behind them, the paint doesn't have to be pristine but I don't wanna risk scraping the paint and starting rust since the whole car and especially this door was recently painted. Just didnt have these pieces available at the time of painting to install. Is there some special fluid that will deactivate the double sided tape without hurting the paint or is a razor blade the only option? I'm thinking I should have just bought the whole door off a 2001 in the junkyard because this door had no sound deadening, a whole different latch which 2 of the 3 electronic plugs can't plug, and the whole wire harness wasnt compatible - initially. This door is still the only give-away that the car has been in an accident, it's almost comical when the one door strip is not the right one one side says LS and one says LT and on the interior... different handle and cup, I need to chop up the inner door a bit to put the right handle in this door.

This door......... I'd be pretty satisfied to pass it off as being stock and just not having the irregularities on the outside of the door as well as inside

Attached Thumbnails How to remove door moulding/badge without ruining paint?-1992_chevrolet_blazer_2_dr_sport_4wd_suv-pic-42759.jpg  

Last edited by reapher; 11-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

DENTAL FLOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that stuff will cut thru double sided tape so long as its not retardedly thin, fishing line will work too... i debaged my car with it without any hindrance to the paint itself. the residue that's left over from the other half of the tape can be removed with anything like gas or specialty products such as "Goo Gone".... if u go the gas route MAKE sure its on a rag and you clean the area u just used it on thoroughly afterwards.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UberFail
DENTAL FLOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that stuff will cut thru double sided tape so long as its not retardedly thin, fishing line will work too... i debaged my car with it without any hindrance to the paint itself. the residue that's left over from the other half of the tape can be removed with anything like gas or specialty products such as "Goo Gone".... if u go the gas route MAKE sure its on a rag and you clean the area u just used it on thoroughly afterwards.
we use to actually use white gas on the new RV's to clean the black markings off the sides, there isnt as many addatives.(camping fuel)

Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
Moores12345 is on a distinguished road

8LB fishing line works wonders. Breaks off every once in a while but just cut a new piece of line and keep cutting at the backing of the badge/emblem. As for the left over residue and tape behind it left on your vehicle. I just used paint thinner and worked from there.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Starting Member
Tmac98 is on a distinguished road

If i use dental floss will i be able to use the badges again? I want to paint them black.