Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Oven Cleaner on Rims.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough
Default Oven Cleaner on Rims.

So In preperation for selling the Burban... The Rims have to be cleaned...

Before:
Thats like baked on Brake Dust from when his caliper was locked up.

I was originally using Dawn dish soap and it was working... slowly. So I went inside to find something else to use. While looking in the Chemical Cabinet I found a near new thing of Oven Cleaner. I figured, baked on grease... baked on brake dust... worth a try.

AMAZING!!! They aren't finished yet... but look way better. I'm gonna do it again tomorrow and let it sit for longer.

Edit: Just realized this should probably go in the detailing section... Mods, do with it what you will. lol

Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member
KNOFF1987 is on a distinguished road

Windex and steel wool will do wonders too. Thats what I used on some polished wagon wheels I have for sale and they look like new from before!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Steel wool on chrome?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

They look better but I'm curious as to the long term outcome of them. I wonder if oven cleaner will make the wheels peel over time?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I guess if she's getting rid of it it's not a problem for her.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
Steel wool on chrome?
Already made that mistake... they have surface scratches in them. For Polished Aluminum I think steel wool might be fine.

Also used that to get the brake dust off the paint... dulled the paint up. Stupid me.

Anywho, put another coat of Oven Cleaner on there and probably gonna leave it for an hour or so. I figured why wait til tomorrow... I've got time

Edit: Yeah, I'm slightly concerned about them peeling... but they are already peeling in the back due to the hubby not taking care of them.

Last edited by ChevyBlazerChick; 08-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert
Steel wool on chrome?
Not the 'classic' steel wool.. the stainless coarse looking stuff. The kind you can use on no-stick pans and enamel stoves. Doesnt scratch anything but raw aluminum. Prolly even work on powder coat

Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Not the 'classic' steel wool.. the stainless coarse looking stuff. The kind you can use on no-stick pans and enamel stoves. Doesnt scratch anything but raw aluminum. Prolly even work on powder coat

That stuff?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a can of Nevr-dull. Worked great on the chrome on my Chevelle 15 years ago! Bought a new can last week and it worked great on the chrome on my XS750 that I just pulled out of the barn.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

That stuff.. usual disclaimer : 'try on a test surface first.'

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Oven Cleaner on Rims.