Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

scratch removal???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
thatyoungin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default scratch removal???

someone told me that applyin toothpaste to your light scratches will somewhat hide them....can anybody prove or disprove this?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: scratch removal???

If they are light scratches, I'd use a polishing compound. If they are too much for that, maybe some buffing compound. Still deeper, maybe some 2000 grit sand paper, followed by buffing compound, and polishing compound and finally wax.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

GS27..... but you have to rewax afterwards..... it takes everything off except the clearcoat...lol

Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 AM
wizkid is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

If they are light scratches, I'd use a polishing compound. If they are too much for that, maybe some buffing compound. Still deeper, maybe some 2000 grit sand paper, followed by buffing compound, and polishing compound and finally wax.
thanks i will have to try that on my blazer

oh also any reccomendations for getting the stripe off the side of my blazer without messing it up?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done it, but there are special bits to be used in a drill that will remove the pin stripe without harming the paint, but off the top of my head, I cannot remember what they are called.

You may also be able to do it with a heat gun and some patience, using some adhesive remover to take off any leftover adhesive.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
wizkid is an unknown quantity at this point

itook as most stripe off as i could mostly all thats one there is like baked on glue sesidue, should i use goof off, or goo be gone? the only thing that stopped me from doing it is im afraid of it taking off some of my paint

Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Goo-Gone won't hurt the paint in the slightest. You'll just want to make sure to wash it down with soap and water after words and rewax the area.

I have also used some paint prep grease/adhesive/wax remover before on paint and not had a problem. You just don't want that stuff to be poured on and left sit... I just wiped down the area I was concerned about with it, but I wasn't using it to remove adhesive, just to prep the area before I touched up some dings.