Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/)
-   -   2.8L engine performance (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-internal-9/2-8l-engine-performance-39558/)

drogg1 01-20-2010 05:03 PM

2.8L engine performance

I have a 1985 Chevy s10 Blazer with a 2.8L V6. It's stock as can be and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions performance wise. Is it worth doing anything at all to a 2.8l? Also, where are some places I can find performance parts for the 2.8L besides Summit?

Keep in mind that I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars/things mechanical.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

swartlkk 01-20-2010 05:05 PM

Not worth the effort to even think about it.

The best upgrade you'll get is with a motor swap to the 3.4L v6 from a Camaro/Firebird.

neo71665 01-20-2010 09:28 PM

Depends on what you wanna do. Most every upgrade you can do to the 2.8 will swap over to a 3.4 if you do decide to go that route later on. Saying its not worth the effort is in the eyes of the beholder because of this. Its not like you are just throwing money at it on parts you will never be able to use again.

You being carbed the first thing I would suggest it ditching the problematic 2 barrel on it for a decent aftermarket one. This will require a new intake and unless you are extremely lucky and find one of the ones no longer made Eldebrock is the only option.

They make headers and cams for a 2.8. Also swapping out your rocker arms to 1.6 (roller or non) will wake it up a bit.

If you really wanna get into it, swapping heads to the 86+ off of a fuel injected 2.8 will help.

If you really wanna look in to doing work on it without being harrased by people telling you to not waste your time or throw a 350 in it I have a few s-series and 60 degree engine forums that are more friendly. Just shoot me a PM

bigkhans 01-20-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 289268)
Depends on what you wanna do. Most every upgrade you can do to the 2.8 will swap over to a 3.4 if you do decide to go that route later on. Saying its not worth the effort is in the eyes of the beholder because of this. Its not like you are just throwing money at it on parts you will never be able to use again.

You being carbed the first thing I would suggest it ditching the problematic 2 barrel on it for a decent aftermarket one. This will require a new intake and unless you are extremely lucky and find one of the ones no longer made Eldebrock is the only option.

They make headers and cams for a 2.8. Also swapping out your rocker arms to 1.6 (roller or non) will wake it up a bit.

If you really wanna get into it, swapping heads to the 86+ off of a fuel injected 2.8 will help.

If you really wanna look in to doing work on it without being harrased by people telling you to not waste your time or throw a 350 in it I have a few s-series and 60 degree engine forums that are more friendly. Just shoot me a PM

So how would a weber work out?

neo71665 01-20-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigkhans (Post 289272)
So how would a weber work out?

Personally I don't care for them but there are guys out there that do like em. Once tuned they run fine I guess but can be really picky on tuning.

drogg1 01-20-2010 10:15 PM

What cars and year models did the 3.4L come? Is it a direct swap?

Do you mean upgrading to an aftermarket 2 barrel or 4 barrel? I would think even the smallest 4 barrel would be a little large. Also, what aftermarket brands do you recommend specifically?

What sort of power gains should I roughly expect out of headers?

When upgrading to an aftermarket cam, do I have to worry about too much lift with the stock valve springs?

Would rocker arms with a cam also have any valvetrain issues?

Also, is it cost effective to do all of these things versus finding a cheap small block V8 or 4.3l V6 and swapping them in? I suppose I should crunch my own numbers but I'm curious if it was known off-hand.

Thanks. Any advice is helpful even if it is to say that the 2.8l is a dog.

Mczuk 01-21-2010 02:25 PM

The advice I got back when I had my 84 s-10 was to swap in a 2.8 from a camaro, they came with more power from the factory 115 for the truck and 140 I think for the camaro. Never got around to it though so I can't verify.

Phil 01-21-2010 05:25 PM

My cousin has a 2.8 in his 87 Camaro. I don't think it even has 100hp from the times I've driven it lol.

neo71665 01-21-2010 06:19 PM

drogg1, to answer your questions in order:

93-95 camaros and firebirds.
http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou...ine%20swap.htm

2 or 4, holley makes a 4 barrel thats under 400 cfm (390 if I recall) that will work. Personally I would stick with a 2.

About the same as any other engine. Hard to put an exact number cause there are so many factors that can screw with the outcome.

yes, just like with any other engine

yes just like any other engine

I wouldn't waste my time with swapping a 4.3 in where a 2.8 was. Too much of a headache for only gaining about 10 HP over the direct swap 3.4.

Originally Posted by Mczuk (Post 289481)
The advice I got back when I had my 84 s-10 was to swap in a 2.8 from a camaro, they came with more power from the factory 115 for the truck and 140 I think for the camaro. Never got around to it though so I can't verify.

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 289527)
My cousin has a 2.8 in his 87 Camaro. I don't think it even has 100hp from the times I've driven it lol.

Horsepower 125, Torque 150 for s-series and Horsepower 130, Torque 160in for the f-bodies 1987.

Much better off putting a 3.1 or 3.4 out of a f-body vs just putting the same engine (2.8) back in it. Only difference was cam and fuel injection setups on the 2.8s in f-bodies Not big enough power gains to justify swapping out the engine when you can put the f-body cam in a s-series easy enough.