Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

350 small block or 383 Stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 350 small block or 383 Stroker?

Ok, I have come to the conclusion that the 4.3L TBI that is in my blazer, is not adequate for what I want, and is not probably going to like all the mods I would try to throw at it....

so now, it's decision time.

should I go for a small block 350, or a 383 stroker (420hp). both would more than likely be carb so I can make installation a hell of a lot easier.

my main question is, would either mate to the tranny easily, or would it be best to beef the trans up.

I know the gears would be best to be changed, but maybe to 4.10's?

I was thinking about the crate 350 from edelbrock, or the 383 from bulletperformanceengines.com (ordered through advanced auto)

all help in this is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 350 small block or 383 Stroker?

the blocks are all the same, 90 degree v6 and v8's the tranny will bolt to all 3.

Check www.sdpc2000.com

Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To go with more than 350hp, you are asking for problems with a stock v6 transmission. I would have to recommend that if you are going for that kind of power, you are better off to rebuild the trans with high performance clutches in the v8 configuration.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

id go with the 383....but 4.10's maybe a little high for a daily driver...id go with maybe 3.73's or 3.90's at most.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

To go with more than 350hp, you are asking for problems with a stock v6 transmission. I would have to recommend that if you are going for that kind of power, you are better off to rebuild the trans with high performance clutches in the v8 configuration.
We should have the same tranny's as the F-Bodies of that year, 700R4's and 4L60's right?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

id go with the 383....but 4.10's maybe a little high for a daily driver...id go with maybe 3.73's or 3.90's at most.
4.10's are fine with an Overdrive. even 3.73's suck with a 3 speed. A 3.42 gear( GN gear) is ideal for the street, if it has OD thats even better. So many variables when power comes into play.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the 4L60E is the same trans... case... But the v8 models have additional clutches in each of the clutch packs. Plus a few of the components are stronger. I also think that some of the newer v8 4L60E transmissions have a 5 gear final planetary while most of the early ones have a 4 gear final planetary, but I'm not entirely sure. I may just be thinking of the internals of the 4L80E.

*EDIT* - Ha, just opened up my latest Chevy High Performance and saw a pile of transmission parts. The website is MonsterTrans.com and they have full performance rebuild kits for the 4L60E. If you wanted to go throug this, contact Tim (Hanr3). He has rebuilt his 4L60E and did a writeup on it a while back.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yes, the 4L60E is the same trans... case... But the v8 models have additional clutches in each of the clutch packs. Plus a few of the components are stronger. I also think that some of the newer v8 4L60E transmissions have a 5 gear final planetary while most of the early ones have a 4 gear final planetary, but I'm not entirely sure. I may just be thinking of the internals of the 4L80E.

*EDIT* - Ha, just opened up my latest Chevy High Performance and saw a pile of transmission parts. The website is MonsterTrans.com and they have full performance rebuild kits for the 4L60E. If you wanted to go throug this, contact Tim (Hanr3). He has rebuilt his 4L60E and did a writeup on it a while back.

Cool, yeah I was unsure I didnt know GM made the guts differently per application like that. Thought it would be cheaper to make more of one then have multiple cells at various plants across the world.

Thanks for the link as well.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Well, the clutches didn't really change, the v8 models just got more of them IIRC... And the clutches are the cheaper parts of the transmission.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:43 PM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet, thanks for all the info.

now, it's just time to save up all the money. hopefully rebuilding the trans won't cost to much, I am figuring possibly 1500 or so.

Quick Reply: 350 small block or 383 Stroker?