Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3L to 5.7L Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4.3L to 5.7L Vortec

Well guys/gals, I may be taking the plunge and doing a 350 swap next summer. I'll be changing over to a 5.7L vortec truck motor. I just talked with a very nice guy from PCMAmerica.com which is based just a few hours from me.

Here is my question:
ORIGINAL: Kyle S

Jeff,

I am in the beginning stages of researching a vortec 350 v8 swap into my 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD. I currently have a 4.3L vortec v6 and also have access to a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a vortec 350 v8. I would like to retain all of the functionality of my AWD system as well as the OBD2 integration into all of the major systems (including the engine). My hope is that Iā€™ll be able to pass NYS inspections without a problem. Considering that, according to GMPartsDirect.com, the PCMs are the same (programming aside), I think this should be possible.

I have come across some of your satisfied customers and seek your thoughts, concerns, and recommendations.

Thanks in Advance!

Kyle S
And his response:
ORIGINAL: Jeff Robert - PCMAmerica.com

You are right, The PCM's are the same. What is cool about that is you keep your stock PCM and wiring harness, add on 2 extra injectors and you are set. You have to run 4 wires for the injectors, 2 are ignition and 2 are in the PCM. You flash the PCM for a 2000 350 or whatever and you should be fine. I will have to add in the tire size and axle ratio. You will pass no problem because I will delete most error codes you dont need that would go off. You can retain all the 4.3 accesssories on the front of the motor and add them to the 350. The radiator will either have to be moved ahead of you will need electric fans which I do not suggest cause of the need for a very large radiator. The swap is just too easy actually compared to any other motor out there. The AWD stuff will be no problem. Anything else let me know. Thanks, Jeff
Very good news for me. Now I just need to find a low mileage vortec 350 and plan out the rest of the build up (mounts, exhaust, radiator, fans, suspension, etc). I'm probably going to grab a wiring harness from the junkyard to work my magic on so I don't have to hack up mine. I'll need to have the v8 connector for the injection spyder, with the additional wires. What I'd like to do is have everything right ready and perform the entire swap over the course of a weekend.

I don't have the cash to do it right now, but I plan on purchasing everything slowly so that as soon as winter is over with next year and I start to drive my Bonneville again, that I can do this swap. Wish me luck and voice any concern/suggestion you may have! PLEASE!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 4.3L to 5.7L Vortec

suggestion........

DO IT!

Thats awesome i cant wait to see all this!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

dude thats awsome....u def. gotta do it. I wanna see progress pics when you do it.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

give us a step by step so we all can do this!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Right now my biggest worry is that the torsion bars won't be able to handle the extra weight of the v8. Everything else seems elementary.

So far, what I can see being the biggest spenders are the engine, block hugger headers, two speed electric fans, oil filter relocation kit, and the programming. I'm hoping to come in below $1500 total for the job which shouldn't be too optimistic.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

could u get heavier duty torsion bars?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Administrator

That's what I'm attempting to figure out. If I went with an LS1, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but I won't find a useful LS1 and stay in my budget...

Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont' sweat the weight. By time its all said and done the V8 swap adds 100 pounds to the front end. Minor crank of the torsion bars to get back to ride hieght and an alignment and your back in business.

Order the book by JTR. Jags That Run, they wrote the book, literally on V8 swaps into the S10 based trucks, and they prefer the GMC over the Chevy versions. That should be right up your alley.

clickyclicky

Edit. By the way. DO THE SWAPand KEEP this thread up to date from now all the way through the first burn out.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this page of Jags That Run website.

clickyclicky

Old 07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Oh I have been all over the JTR website and will mostlikely be ordering thier book (even though their 2nd gen section seems to be VERY lacking from all accounts I have read).

About the suspension, I didn't know if the stock bars could be adjusted enough. At the very least, I'm going to price up a new set that hasn't ever been used so I don't end up with fatigue problems later on. If it's cost effective, I'll just replace them.

I'm going to try to make this very much like the 2nd link you posted. I also am going to try to use the most stock components as posible. I really want to keep the firewall clearance the same with the 350 which will probably mean I am going to make up my own motor mounts cause just about all of the other mount kits move the motor back a bit.

I can tell you that with as easy as the inner/outer fenders come off of these trucks, they WILL NOT be on when I do the fit test and fab up the motor mounts!

Quick Reply: 4.3L to 5.7L Vortec