Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.8l v8

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Jones98 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.8l v8

My friend is looking to get a bigger engine for his 03 silverado so he said if he found one he would give me his old 4.8L v8, i love this idea but im worried it wouldnt fit under the hood, he said it would but im not sure, would it?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should, but if you are going to go through the trouble of swapping up to the newer LS based v8's, you really should look for the 5.3L+ v8s. But since its free...

It will cost a pretty penny to get it working properly in your truck if your screen name means anything (correct me if I am wrong, but you are driving a 98 right..?).

Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno about the 2nd gen but the gen 1's require alot of fab to get the 5.3 to fit. My buddy started to put one in a 2wd and the whole powerplant was gonna have to be moved down to get the transmission to go into the tunnel. He actually had the engine sitting in the truck but couldnt get the trans in without remaking all the front mounts and x-members to lower it

Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Jones98 is on a distinguished road

you would be correct i have a LS 98' blazer

Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Beginning Member
spooky is on a distinguished road

Should fit right on in without any troubles. I ended up liking the 4.8l over the 5.3l due to the fact that the low torque power band hits quicker then the 5.3l. I ended up with a 5.3l cause it was a steal and wouldnt let that get out of my hands.

With a gen 2 there should be very minimal fab that needs to be done to get it in. Head over to s10v8.com and check out some of the stuff you will need to get it in. Also as I have said before, wiring harness will be a pain.

Just to give you heads up. Its going to cost you a pretty penny, so if you plan to do it. Start getting parts now.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
lt170chevelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually doing a 5.3 in my 98 blazer right now. It only gets expensive if you go that route..but there is a few mods that will have to be done to the frame to clear the oil pan and the ac compressor. But thats the cheap route lol.
Check out the s10 forum for some great info on this swap

Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Beginning Member
spooky is on a distinguished road

Nice to see an lt1 in a classic car. I was about to start my swap when the unfortunate (thingy) arrived. I happen to fall into an ls1 with some bolt-ons. Now deciding if I want a 5.3 or an ls1 in the Blazer. Was still thinking of the 5.3 in the blazer and the ls1 in my 69 Elco. Still up in the air.