Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

5 speed swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
SkylineGTSt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 speed swap?

i HATE automatics, dont know why. just do.
this is my first vehicle without a 5 speed...
its a 96 blazer 4x4....
is it possible to do a 5 speed swap from say... an s10?
what would i need from that truck (clutch and brake pedals, tranny, clutch system, 5 speed console? (custom job maybe), ecu)???
also what year would the donor vehicle have to be?
i did do a quick search around the site... but didnt find anything on this... so if i missed a thread on this... dont kill me...[&:]
also if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it. i couldnt find a tranny modification section.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 5 speed swap?

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I also have a '96 Blazer 4x4 with auto, and I want to put in a 5-speed really bad. Has anybody on here done this?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 AM
SkylineGTSt is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You would also have to get a new steering column, unless you dig the auto shift lever, anywhoo that would be a cool mod but it would take some time and trial and error.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Pretty much any S10 or Blazer from '95 to '97 will work as a donor... Just make sure to get the ECU and such, so the computer isn't like "WTF DID YOU DO TO YOUR TRANSMISSION?!?!?!"

I've owned one automatic in my life... and I loved the car except for that...

I love my 5 speed Blazer! 2005! muwahahahaha!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHA, I have a 4 door blazer and I have only seen 2 door blazers with stick and would that transmission still work with a 4dr?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously if you had a 4wd, then you'd want a stick from a 4wd truck. Only other things I can think of would be the possibility of driveshaft differences if the manual isn't the same overall length as the auto...

Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Forgot about the driveshaft, lol.

Should theoretically be the same one... I can't find any part numbers on GM Parts Direct, but I'll try and remember to ask the parts people when I go pick up my Blazer from the shop... Or measure things, lol

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Obviously if you had a 4wd, then you'd want a stick from a 4wd truck. Only other things I can think of would be the possibility of driveshaft differences if the manual isn't the same overall length as the auto...
You know, when I mentioned it to my mechanic a while back (who is also a friend of mine), I vaguely recall him saying something about the wheelbase being different on the 2Ds and 4Ds -- so you may be hitting on something. But whatever stopped us from cuttin' and fabbin'?

I think I'll ask him about it in more depth. You see, when I asked him about swapping the tranny, he flat-out refused -- even when I offered to pay him generously to do it. That means I wouldhave to either pay somebody else that I don't trust, or do it myself.

Hey, if there is ANYBODY out there that has swapped an automatic for a 5-speed on a FOUR-door Blazer, puh-leeze drop by and tell us how you did it!

If I end up being the pioneer that does it first, I will definitely do the same. I'll tell you guys everything I (or my mechanic) ran up against.

Raph

Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran

Not only is the driveshaft longer on a 4 door, but it's a different length for 2wd and 4wd...

Quick Reply: 5 speed swap?