Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
blazerrider101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default air intake

whats better air intake or cold air intake whats a good one to use but not for like sky high $

Old 10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: air intake

Your best bet would be buy yourself a good K&N cone filter and buy piping and some silicon couplers.

I'm going to be purchasing some piping from Intense-Racing.com to do my intake. I'll then box in and insulate the air filter so that it does not pull in hot air from the engine bay.

You'll find that you will spend A LOT of $$$ for premade kits simply because the market for them is small.

Good Luck

Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 AM
DS01blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

how much are you trying to spend?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:40 AM
timetoblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

guess no one in here is a fan of ebay intakes..... mine works just as good as a k&n... it cost me 40 bucks....

Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to burst your bubble, blaze, but those air filters you can buy on ebay certaintly are not a K&N. They may flow as well, but they do not clean the air anywhere near as well. So long as you don't live in a dusty area, you shouldn't have any problems.

One thing to note about aftermarket oiled air filters is that if they are overoiled, they could coat the mass air flow (MAF) sensor causing a laundry list of drivability concerns ranging from poor acceleration to awkward transmission shifts and a ton inbetween. This is mainly on GM vehicles. The oil will coat the sensor wires and then the very fine particles of dirt that get past the filter (we're talking about micron sized particles) will stick and skew the readings.

I run a K&N drop-in on my Bonneville and I clean my MAF every oil change just to stay away from this problem. I clean & re-oil my filter once or twice a year (don't put a lot of miles on it). When I re-oil it, I make sure to evenly coat the filter and once it sits for alittle while, I suck out all of the excess with my shop-vac.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 PM

not to worry i know that.... thats why i bought my own k&n filter and put it on the ebay intake pipes... it still came out to be cheaper

Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Administrator

oh yeah definitely the way to go so long as you don't rely on those filters. The reason why I recommended the flexible piping is because you can bend it around and put the filter out of the engine bay down directly behind the front bumper. Now if you were muddin' around, this wouldn't be a good idea, but for strictly street driven vehicles, it's a great area to get nice cold air from.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
mdhokenson is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you use to clean your MAF?

Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

I use electrical parts cleaner. You should be able to find a small aerosol can at any autoparts store. You could also use rubbing alcohol. If it hasn't been cleaned in awhile, you may need to use a q-tip. Be VERY gentle/careful if using a q-tip. The wires are very easy to break and a new MAF isn't cheap!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM

hell no they arent i priced one out at autozone 150 thats not chump change

Quick Reply: air intake