Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Anyone here done a Gen IV swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone here done a Gen IV swap?

Hey I was just wondering if anyone here has swaped a Gen IV engine in there 2nd gen Blazers(I think thats what I have)? Some day I would like to swap a LS1 in my Blazer but Im just in the researching phases now.If anyone has any advice Im all ears.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Anyone here done a Gen IV swap?

Didnt think so.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

you should check out s10forms i think there are quite a few there that have.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As soon as I can scrape the money together, my Blazer is probably getting a 5.3 with Active Fuel Management...

Old 04-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Alright thanks, Ive been searching around on LS1tech too, theres a few there. Looks like it will be roughly 15k to do it right with drivetrain and to get it done at a shop. I still dont know if I want or not.

If you get it done before me make sure to take lots of pictures and keep us updated here.

Also Im thinking the 6.0L with a little work.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Well, I know with the 5.3, the only drive train problem I might have will be in the transmission, t-case, and front diff...

The rear diff will be fine, as it's the same one in the Camaro/Firebirds...

I don't plan on souping the nuts off the engine, so...

In my head, all the electronics should be almost plug and play (my Hypertech programer can also do 5.3 of the same years of 4.3's) Might have to change some stuff on the tach, but the o2 sensors should be fine, and all I really need to do is get the PCM from the same vehicle the engine came out of...

I'm sure reality will be MUCH different, but I can hope, right? lol

Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Ive seen stock Camaros/Firebirds break the stock rear end so I beg to differ with that one.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While the PCM may be able to be flashed to the proper code, your engine bay wiring harness will be all wrong. You will want to get the complete harness, disassemble it, and graft in your existing harness for those things which won't be changing and may not be the same connections as in the 5.3L harness (O2 sensor locations, possibly the transmission/transfer case connections, etc).

As far as the drivetrain, don't worry about it until you break something. If you're drag racing it, then you may want to build them up, but if it's just your DD, I wouldn't worry until something happens. People are dropping v8s into s-series vehicles all the time using the v6 transmission which is what I consider to be the weakest link. If you are atleast prepared for the possibility of needing replacement, then you're ahead of the game. Also, if you don't beat on it, you should also be ok for quite a while.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran

Yeah, I kinda figured it wasn't going to be that easy, lol.

I think the hardest part is the electronics...

The physical installation is the easiest... If you can get all the parts, lol.

Hopefully I can get a built up 5 speed, if mine takes a dump...

I wonder if any of the 4.3 accessories will bolt up to the 5.3... I know the water pump won't, but maybe the alternator, a/c and power steering will... lol

Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope sorry DR, but nothing from a 4.3 will fit a 5.3. If either of you are actually going to do this hit a salvage yard and buy the COMPLETE engine trans and electrical harnesses with computer. Then it's just a matter of fitment and you take all of the electronic work out of it. I was working on a design for buiding a dual engine 4WD rail job, and planning on using 2 super-charged 3800's from late-model pontiacs and I found a complete drivetrain with engine support,engine,trans, wiring, PCM, axles,hubs,struts,rack etc...for $1100.00 If I ever get to do it, it will be a blast 500 HP, 1200 lbs, 4wd and 4 wheel steering....woooooohooooooo!

Quick Reply: Anyone here done a Gen IV swap?