Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Brown coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
kawidood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brown coolant?

Hey all,

I have a 97 Blazer and tonight I drove the car for about 10 minutes (it's only about 50 outside) and I noticed the car was passing the 210 point and getting hotter. I pulled the car over, waited 5 minutes and started it up again. This time when the temp hit around 210 (it had already dropped to 150) I turned the heater on to bleed heat from the engine and the temp started to come down. After I turned the heater off the temperature stayed in the normal range for the next 15 minutes till I got home. I checked the engine coolant level and it was fine, but the engine coolant is brown and has a slight burnt smell to it. I also heard a slight gurgling sound coming from the radiator. The only other problem I've noticed lately is that my heater core is once again making a gurgling sound when the car is cold. It happened to me last winter but my core was also leaking at the time and I had it replaced. Anyway, I know Dex-cool isn't green, but is it normal for the coolant to be brown and smell slightly burnt? I Want to have the coolant system flushes and cleaned and refilled but I wonder if whatever caused this coolant to turn brown will cause the new coolant to turn brown. Any idea/thoughts are appreciated!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Brown coolant?

Umm I would be wondering if you have a leak in you oil cooler/tranny cooler which is leaking into your radiator making it brown and also making smell a little burnt. Can you tell if the substance looks oily?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would see oil collect on the radiator cap. I'm betting that you have some kind of leak in the system. I would definitely recommend that you flush the system out and while you've got it empty, change out the t-stat and put a new slant radiator cap on. Then keep an eye on it.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

when you did your heater core did you flush out your system then?
also did you refill the system with Dex-Cool?
Ifyou did not Flu****, itcould be the left over junk from before that changed the color so quickly.

But I would not rule out the chance that the Trany and/or oil coolers could be cracked in the radiator and leaking into the system. Take a look at your trany fluid, if it is milky/foamy then its a good chance that the cooler in the radiator is leaking for the trany. Unhappily the oil cooler can not be checked as easy as the Trany. But do keep an eye out for oil ontop of the coolent.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Beginning Member

when they changed my heater core last winter they did not flush the entire system as far as i know, but i could be wrong. however, i've seen the engine coolant before tonight and it wasnt' this color.

as far as oil being in it, it does not look oily, but maybe if i look at it during the day i'll notice it. i'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:04 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: kawidood

when they changed my heater core last winter they did not flush the entire system as far as i know, but i could be wrong. however, i've seen the engine coolant before tonight and it wasnt' this color.

as far as oil being in it, it does not look oily, but maybe if i look at it during the day i'll notice it. i'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Don't forget to check your trany fluid also.

This will help narrow down what might be helping in turning it that color.

Also I have read how air pockets in the coolent system can also aid in changing it colors. Maybe one of the more Dex-Cool exp. people can aid you with that. My pet pev is not to use Dex-Cool to avoid any of the known issues with the stuff.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
blazinwoody is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that your susposed to use Dex-cool but when the container of anti-freeze says "All makes, All models, even different colored fluid" should I still use it. I dont want to get off-topic but I think its relevent to the topic. Thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I actually highly recommend Prestone's Yellow All Makes, All Models Extended life coolant.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:40 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I think there is a$4.00 mail in rebate for Prestone 50/50 and exteneded life at Autozone. Don't know for how long though.

Picked up 2 weeks ago.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Beginning Member

well, there's a sticker right next to the radioator that says "only use Dex-Cool", so I think I'll stick with it.

What's wierd is that the car begins to overheat when I turn it on, but as soon as I turn the heater on the temperature is able to regulate itself. What do you guys make of that? Even after I turn the heater off it still regulates itself normally. Why would turning on the heater make any difference?

Quick Reply: Brown coolant?