Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

De Mota iz in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:10 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De Mota iz in!!!

Alright, I don't know why I didn't tell everyone about putting my new motor in, i guess with all the excitement i forgot. So I will go ahead and tell the whole story. The original motor had 167k miles on it. It was running great. Like it was brand new. So one day I'm driving and just out of nowhere I hear a tapping noise. So I think, "that can't be from the motor. It must be the wind." So I keep driving because I was only five miles from the house, and anyways, if the tapping (which was turning into a knock) was the motor, it was already too late. So I get to the house, leave it running and get out to listen a little better. yes, it's a knock from the motor. I get my dad to listen to it. he says, "yep, sounds like a spun bearing". then he asks if i've been "runnin the fire out of it". My truthful response is "no". We check the oil, it's full just as it had been when i checked it three days before, except now there is metal chunks in it. So i then began to wonder how the motor just up and messed up like that. Well my whole family had been having problems with my aunt's husband (they're going through a divorce) so the only thing I could think of is that he went to my house one weekend when i was gone, went to my unlocked blazer (i used to always leave it unlocked, small town sorta thing), and put something in the motor oil. So I had the task of removing the engine. woohoo. I have to say, when you go to school and only have two hours to work on a vehicle every other day, it's going to take a while. We get the motor out, and, of course, it was a rod bearing. I then go to the wrecking yard and find a motor w/33,000 miles out of a 2000 pickup for $400. School ends for the summer so I get plenty of time to work on the blazer. when the people at the wrecking yard pulled the motor, they attached a seatbelt to the front bracket and a bolt in an unused bolthole in the rear of the engine, so we figure, "why not just use that instead of a chain?" We get the motor put in, all looks well. The motor is clean, looks brand new. So everything is put together. I turn the key and......it just keeps turning and turning and turning. So now, time to check if it has fire. yep has fire. how about fuel? has fuel all the way up to the intake. so the injectors must be clogged. we try some injector cleaner and try cranking some more. no luck. so now time to take the intake apart and use the old injector unit off the old motor (yep we kept the old motor w/o paying core). WOW starts right up. So we recharge the a/c system (since we took the whole front clip off) and everything is fine, except for some squeak from the motor compartment. It only squeaks at idle. it's like when the motor shakes on the motor mounts, it squeaks. so i start by looking for anything rubbing against the firewall. well, that bolt that was in the back of the engine with the seatbelt is right up against the firewall, rubbin like crazy. can't tighten the bolt, can't loosen it either. only way is to cut it off. bolt cutters won't reach. so we get a cutting torch and...just kidding. I have to buy a mini hacksaw from wal-mart slowly cut that bolt off. after about an hour and a half. the squeak is fixed and I have a perfect running, cold a/c blazer. funny thing is: we charged the a/c to the specified amount and it blows at 30 degrees, sometimes hitting 28 at highway speeds. we pulled a vaccuum when we were charging and everything. But here's a word of advice. When changing motors, if the old and new one aren't out of the exact same year and model, you will have to switch some parts. Like with my a/c vent problem on another thread, the vaccuum line connects to the intake on the same fitting that the pcv valve connects to. the fitting on the 2000 motor doesn't have a connector for the vaccuum hose, only the pcv valve, swapping is required with some sensors also.

oh and also: If my blazer is parked, the doors are locked.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:31 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: De Mota iz in!!!

Nice... sounded like fun. Hows it run?

Old 06-24-2006, 02:30 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: De Mota iz in!!!

perfect! I was pullin out of a parkin lot and decided to get down on it to see if the time was worth it. From a stop, I floored it and it spun the tires until I let off. no kidding or exaggerating. Here's another thing. A friend of mine has a Toyota camry that just so happened to throw the timing belt. I went to tow them home. I hook up the tow strap and put it in drive and don't have to step on the gas to pull it.. it was able to start pulling it at idle. Idles smooth as glass. 25 miles a gallon on my last trip.