Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 AM
klandon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump?

oka here is the story i have a 1996 blazer 4dr with 160000 miles on it. The other day i went to start it and it wouldnt start. i checked the normal stuff dead battery and such and everything seemed to be fine. Then i check the fuel pressure and i had nothing. So i went and changed the fuel filter first and now what i get is wierd. If i try to start the blazer i still get no fuel pressure. So i let it sit for 24 hours and started working on it again. The first thing i notice is when i reinstalled the fuel pressure tester i got a huge squirt of gas but yet no pressure after that. so i waited another 24 and started the work again and once again when installing the fule pressure tester i get that one squirt then nothing. Was wondering is this a sign of a fuel pump gone wrong or is it blockage in the line. I hope some of you have some ideas and where can i get a fuel pump cheap.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Pump?

Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Try turning your key forward but not starting it. If you listen closely outside of the truck you should be able to hear a whining noise. That whining noise is the fuel pump kicking in. Or you could also try using some starter fluid. Give it a little spray to see if the motor will turn over. If it turns over and then stalls odds are it is your fuel pump. You might wanna get a few more peoples opinions doing anything like changing it out though.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:33 PM

Okay i tried that and didnt hear anything also tried pulling the line off the incoming side of the filter and tried it again and nothing came out. So i am assuming it is a fuel pump issue so does any one know where i can get one cheap. and how often does the fuel pump go out mine is the original and it has 160000 miles on it.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:56 PM

You got a lot of miles on that factory pump. GM fuel pumps are notorious for going out. I had a s-10 and I probably had to put 2 or 3 fuel pumps by the time mine hit around 160,000. As for getting one cheap I dont really know about that. I would try www.gmpartsdirect.com or just check an auto zone or something.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:58 PM

oh yeah you might want to check the wiring goin to the fuel pump. sometimes the ground wires can get messed up. I dont know if you have to drop the tank to do that or not. I think you might have to.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point

The fuel pump went out on mine just recently, for the second time. The first time, it just quit running all together, would not do anything. The second time it went out on a very busy road, near the lunch time rush. I got it to a place where I could work on it some. The fuel pump would kick on when I turned the key on, and was rather loud actually. It would supply pressure still, but only about 24psi. Just wasn't enough for the truck to run on. Luckily the first one I bought had a limitied lifetime warranty, and was free to replace the second time.

Mine was around $350 to buy, but yours may not be that much on a 96. I sure hope not, I know I hated spending that just for a little electric motor that pumps fuel. Thought it has to be a dandy of a motor to supply 60psi. I think the first one I got was bad from the beginning, it always made a fairly loud noise when running, and the one I just replaced it with is the same brand and is whisper quiet.

Both times I did the job myself, it was a little time consuming but wasn't that hard to do. While I was at it I checked what I could of the electrical system, made sure all the plugs looked good and such. I actually replaced the plug to my fuel pump both times, it is apparently a weak link in the system. A warning came with both my new pumps that stated that the plugs can become loose and cause some electrical arhing, which in turn is what burns the pumps up, and has a picture of what to look for. When I changed the original pump, it did show signs of the arching, some heat distorted plastic around the plug and such, the second time I changed it though the plug area was fine so it was probably just a bad pump all around.

I'm pretty sure none of that rambling helped, but it's something to read I suppose.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:22 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

yes check your wiring and fuses first. it is going to cost around $300, they arent cheap. but def. check your ground, my brother just bought one for his 97 s10 2.2($375) and replaced it, then found out it was just a bad ground. so check that first.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazin97

my brother just bought one for his 97 s10 2.2($375) and replaced it, then found out it was just a bad ground. so check that first.
I'm pretty sure, that would make me cry. []

Old 11-26-2005, 05:15 PM

oka what is the easiest way to check the ground with out dropping the tank. unfortanly a friend of mine borrowed my volt/ohm meter so i wont have that back till monday. also the where does the ground connect at.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

Bojib I laughed at him for not checking that first.
klandon he took the bed of so it was easy for him. I will ask him where it connects at tonight when he gets home, at 10,and ill post tomarrow morning.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump?