Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:22 AM
juscarter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heater core?

So my windows(internal) won't stop fogging up every two minutes. I'm talking rediculously! I haven't noticed a wet passenger floor board, but i smell something a little funny(sometimes) when i turn on the heat. It sounds like a heater core problem to me, but im no expert by any means. So my question is this....

CAN THIS CAUSE FURTHER ENGINE/ANY PROBLEMS OTHER THAN THE ONES I HAVE LISTED HERE? COULD A BAD A/C CAUSE IT TO GO OUT/VICE VERSA, CAUSE THAT DOESN'T WORK EITHER.

I CAN'T FIX IT MYSELF, SO IF IT IS WHAT I THINK IT IS, ANYONE GOT AN IDEA OF ROUGHLY WHAT THIS WOULD COST TO GET FIXED?

Any ideas you got would be greatly appreciated.[]

Old 12-24-2006, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Heater core?

sorry to say but it definatly sounds like a heater core. Same thing happend to me on the highway going to work last summer. It's white fog that has to be wiped away with your hand......If your running dexcool (red stuff) it smells like rotten fish, very noticable. The green stuff is a little harder to explain........

I think my bill came up to like 850, thats for the whole schebang, delco core. But he's a friend of my dads so he charged me, i think $700 cash, canadian. I would get it fixed asap.

BUT! if you live in a warm climate and dont need heat, you can re-rout the system bypassing the core untill you can save cash and whatnot.....at least people have told me that.......I just got the replacement a few days later.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM

something else that ive noticed upon more lookin is that the only selections on my ac/heater that works are the top vents and the dash. Even when its set to off it blows out the dash like its set on 4. So my buddy tells me it might be electrical. I dont know. Im going to take it to the shop tomorrow and have a mechanic take a look at her. I hope it's not the heater core. I can't afford it.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

entire dash comes out with a heater core replacement on 2nd gens anyway........I'd say 6-9 hours of labour depending on how good they are.....

Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 AM

can anyone tell me how to bypass it? i dont have the funds to get it fixed right now. but soon. Until then i would like to have the thing turned off. is there a fuse i could pull, or do i need to get into the engine compartment?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:14 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You need to get into the engine compartment to bypass the heater core.
There are 2 small rubber hoses that lead from the front of the engine (one on the front of the intake and the other from the water pump) to the passenger side firewall.
You would have to remove both hoses from the heater core (at the firewall) and put a piece of pipe inside the hoses to attatch them together.
This way the water will just circulate through the hose and not the heater core.
The most difficult part about this is getting a pipe the right size as one heater hose is 3/4" inside diameter and the other hose is 5/8" inside diameter.
If you try this bypass, check carefully for leaks at your connections when the engine is hot (under full pressure in the cooling system)

Old 12-26-2006, 09:50 AM

outstanding. thanks for all the help bro, i appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:15 PM
cruiserA12 is an unknown quantity at this point

ANYONE ELSE KNOW WHY THE BLOWER IS NOT WARM EVERY DAY? IT'S A 99 4.3 V6. MY
MECHANIC IS PUZZLED...IT'S GETTIN COLDER OUT AND IT BLOWS WARM FOR 10 SECONDS, THEN I FREEZE....ANY1 GOT A CLUE???

Old 12-26-2006, 11:29 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

ANYONE ELSE KNOW WHY THE BLOWER IS NOT WARM EVERY DAY? IT'S A 99 4.3 V6. MY
MECHANIC IS PUZZLED...IT'S GETTIN COLDER OUT AND IT BLOWS WARM FOR 10 SECONDS, THEN I FREEZE....ANY1 GOT A CLUE???
iS tHE hEATER cORED pLUGGED? tRY A nEW t STAT. oR tRY fLUSHING iT. gOOD lUCK.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Task is an unknown quantity at this point

It's most likely "Dex-Cool" coolant sludge clogging theheating system, the mechanic should know that, it's a well known problem that GM ignores.

Dex-Cool was OEM coolant

Just google Dex-Cool and Blazer Heater Core
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...gs+heater+core

Oh yea, the crap also eats at gaskets [:@]

Quick Reply: Heater core?