Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Help! im a bit confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
chevychic4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Help! im a bit confused

hey ok i got a new battery the other day come to find out it took a whole day to get the old one off ... the old owner didnt take care of it at all considering the battery acid was caked to the hookup and wiring ... i put the new one on but it didnt have enuff juice so i exchanged that one ... not good luck with batteries ... neways i got the other one and hooked it up still wont start so tommorow i am taking out the alternater and bringing it to autozone ... also i am going to check the connection to the starter... i might also get a new connector to for the battery depending on what happens ... about the oil sitch i bought a new oil filter and oil but i am waiting to change that cause i want to make sure i get it running so the new oil isnt sitting along with the truck ....Another way i know that the old owner didnt take care of my truck is i bought an air filter and when i went to take out the old one ... it was actually stuck to the top and i had to pull it off .. im pretty frustrated that someone wouldnt take care of this truck but im the owner now so i know it will b fixed ... heres some pics of my baby ... she's got some body work to do but its a project for me and its something to drive once i get it goin ...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey chevychick

Just a thought but check your dip stick again and make sure it is not broken off. The dip stick in me car somehow broke, and the tranny dip stick in the Blazer.

As for your starting issue: you now know its not the battery. Your on the right track and you'll have it figured out in no time.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your truck should hold 4.5-5 quarts of oil. Adding only 4 quarts and you saw the results. It barely shows up on the dipstick. Geeze

Since the battery is good. Your on the right track. Bad connections will limit power flowing severely enough for it not to start. I am gathering by not starting that the starter isn't even turning the engine over. While your down there cleaning up the connections on the starter, hit the starter with a hammer a couple of times. Hitting usually will free it if it is stuck. SOemtimes rocking the truck back and forth will do the same thing. Sometimes a starter has a dead spot.

You are getting lights on the dash correct?

Old 03-23-2006, 08:24 PM

ive already done the whole hammer thing it didnt do anything ... and yes the lights are all turning on even the headlights when i turn em on ... so i really think its the alternater consider i try starting when lights are on and they fade and i kno thats a sign of an alternater

Old 03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I gather the truck still doesn't turn over. Take the starter out and go have it tested. Since you know the battery is working (headlights work) your truck is getting power. The alternator will only provide power when the engine is running.

Turn over means the engine goes spins. If the starter is completely broken the engine will not spin. One way to see if the engine is spinning is watch teh fan blades, they will turn as the engine turns over. If the engine is turning over, it could still be your starter. It might not have enough umph to get the engine to run. Take it out and go have it tested. One word of caution, disconnect BOTH battery cables before you disconnect the starter wires. The red wire off the battery runs straight to the starter, there is no fuse. If you short that wire on the frame of the truck you can actually weld your wrench in place. Have a huge spark show, burn yourself, or ruin your eyes permenatley. DISCONNECT THE BOTH TERMINALS ON THE BATTERY!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 PM

well my battery isnt even connected at the time due to the fact i dont want it to drain any power out of it ... but tommorow i am taking out the starter and am having that tested ... i have another truck also for spare parts i just need to get it where i am ... well write back if u guys have ne other comments k thnxz ~

Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM
FLcruising is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, the alternator does NOT affect the starting system of any vehicle.
I've seen plenty of cars not start because of corrosion on the terminals, and even "growing" down the battery cables. If you have this, replace your WIRES.
Another thing, the lights fading when you try to crank the engine is a classic sign of a bad connection at the battery. Again, probably corrosion, double ckeck your terminal connection. See if you can have someone turn to key to crank while you jiggle the wires at the terminals.
When you try to start the engine, is there a clicking sound coming from the starter?
Not sure what engine you have, but if it's the 4.3L, the starter's on the passenger side.