Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Help my Jimmy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help my Jimmy!

Well I went out this morning to go to work, got a little snow so I was going to remote start it while I brushed the snow off. And yes it wouldnt hold an idle at all. It fired up fine, got to about 1k rpm then boom, dies. I tried about 10 times and it did the same thing everytime, fires perfectly but will not hold even for a second, almost like it wasent getting any gas. I tried punching the gas right when it fired, and nothing.

finally I got fed up and called my dad who said just to get it scanned, but its about $100 here to do that. No ses light or anything. Then when I got off the phone with him i tried one more time and it stayed running.......

now I can probably count out the fuel pump, because this exact same thing has happend to me twice before this. It did the same thing about a year ago before I had the pump changed. I can hear it humm when i turn the key. And the filter was more than likely changed with the pump.(i sure hope so for $1200[:@])

now alls i can do is guess.....and my best guess is the fuel lines.....?
but that may be unlikely.....ANY help is appreciated

maybe a bottle of gas line antifreeze will help? or maybe its a mechanical problem....im lost.....

Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Help my Jimmy!

I'm wondering if it isn't something with the remote start system or wiring causing the issue... Sounds like a passkey issue...

Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
nai0013 is an unknown quantity at this point

dry gas. or the pump or filter. I just had mine replaced three weeks ago on my 99 jimmy.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran

havent has any trouble with the starter.....but i did notice I can start it with the hood open....bad pin thingy i guess. and I forgot to mention I only tried with the remote once, all others were with the key.

what is a passkey?

what if there was condensation in the gas tank? I do unfortunatley run it down to 1/4 tank almost everytime before I put $20 in.

Also instead of getting canadian tires brand of low grade I got 7-11's mid grade($20) a few days ago.......could that cause problems?

Im contemplating going and getting some gas line antifreeze tonight....that gets rid of all the moisture in the system right?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran

so I take it no one has any ideas?

Old 03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your truck has the PassLock system which operates much the same as the PassKey except the key does not have a resistor.
Passlock(TM) System
The theft deterrent system has been incorporated into the Body Control Module (BCM) . The theft deterrent is provided in order to prevent the vehicle operation if the correct key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The ignition key turns the lock cylinder. The cylinder rotation produces an analog voltage code in the Passlock(TM) sensor. This voltage code is received by the BCM. The BCM compares the voltage code to the previously learned voltage code. If the codes match, a class 2 message is sent from the BCM to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) /Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The message enables the fuel injectors.

The design of the Passlock(TM) system is to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the ignition lock cylinder rotates properly by engaging the correct ignition key. The system is similar in concept to the passkey system.

However, the Passlock(TM) system eliminates the need for a key mounted resistor pellet. The components of the Passlock(TM) system are as follows:[*]The ignition lock cylinder[*]The ignition switch[*]The Passlock(TM) sensor[*]The Body control module (BCM) The security indicator[*]The Vehicle/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM)
Passlock(TM) Sensor
The Passlock(TM) sensor is inside the upper right side of the steering column. The Passlock(TM) sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors. The tamper hall effect sensor is on the top. The security hall effect sensor is under the tamper hall effect sensor. Both of the hall effect sensors monitor the magnet of the lock cylinder through an opening. The tamper hall effect sensor is physically placed on top of the security hall effect sensor. This arrangement enables the tamper hall effect sensor to engage first if an intruder attempts to bypass the Passlock(TM) sensor by placing a large magnet around that area of the steering column.

There is a tamper resistor inside the Passlock(TM) sensor in order to help prevent tamper to the system. Passlock(TM) equipped vehicles have a selection of 10 different security resistors ranging from 0.5K ohms up to 13.6K ohms . Installing one of the security resistors inside the Passlock(TM) sensor will generate a unique Passlock(TM) code. All 10 combinations of the Passlock(TM) sensor have the same part number. However, you cannot simply replace the Passlock(TM) sensor and expect the system to operate properly. Always start by performing the Diagnostic System Check first and following the instructions.
Fuel Lockout Cycle
The Passlock(TM) system has a lockout cycle of approximately 10 minutes . Once the vehicle is in the lockout cycle, the vehicle remains in the lockout cycle for 10 minutes , even if the ignition switch is turned from the RUN position to the OFF position.

The Passlock(TM) system uses the lockout cycle in order to synchronize all of the Passlock(TM) components when any Passlock(TM) related part is changed. The Passlock(TM) system requires 3 consecutive lockout cycles in order to complete the 30 minute learn procedure for a changed component.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

well if it worked fine before with the remote start and you tried a bunch of times with the key i dont think it is the remote sart. that fuel lockout cycle swartlkk posted is intreqing tho, how long was it from the first time you tried untill the last time when it started, 10min, or more? maybe some connection there. maybe for whatever reason this time it went into fuel lockout. maybe swartlkk can explane in more detal how that system works, would it allow the vhicle to start for under a second as described or not? maybe as it cunsumes all of the fuel that was allowed into the lines duning the inital pressure up cycle?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:12 AM
BF Veteran

ya it was about 10-15 mins. it was like the rpm needle didnt even stop it was up to 1k then right back down to 0 with no pause. would fire fine but wouldnt hold an idle at all. seems fuel related to me, but what do i know

Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Check the fuel pressure, and just because it can't really hurt, throw in some gas-line antifreeze

Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran

well i had the pump replaced just under a year ago.......hopefully its still good.

Quick Reply: Help my Jimmy!