Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

hot rodding a 4.3L

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Starting Member
mojoman13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hot rodding a 4.3L

holla
i just pulled a 4.3L engine out of a 91 4x4 blazer and i want to rebuild/hot rod it and put it in my 86 4x4 blazer.
i was wondering wat types of things i should do to the 4.3L to get maximum horse power with a fairly tight budget. i am willing to spend about 2500 on parts for it which when it comes to an engine isnt a whole bunch so i would like to know which parts i can get that will give the best hp and be cheap as well
thanks!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: hot rodding a 4.3L

Well... For $2500, you could build one stout 350 v8 and stuff it into your 86. Carb it up and you're all set! You could have around 350-400 reliable hp for that money depending on your parts sources.

If you are dead set on using the 4.3L out of your '91, then run a search or two in this section. I posted a link to an article awhile back entitled the '3/4 350'. Here's the article - You have one month...

Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Starting Member

hmm ya thats a great article and its starting to make me shy away from the 4.3
k so i need some serious advice here cause im in a dilemma lol.
so there are 2 paths i could take. take the 4.3L and tranny out of the 91, rebuild the 4.3L and buy engine mounts and whatnot then shove that engine in my 86.
OR
i could leave the 4.3 in the 91 and sell it for $600 ez and buy a 350 crate engine and buy all the things that i need to get the 350 to work in my 86. but if i get the 350 i will need a new tranny, or i could take the tranny out of the 91 which inturn would basically cost me $600 cause i wont be able to sell the 91 any more.
which path should i chose? cause i would LOVE the 350 in my truck but if it is a lot more work and money than the 4.3 then i might have to go 4.3
take in mind that im from canada, so 2500 doesnt go as far in canada as it would in the states
so here is my MAIN question lol
how much more money/work is involved in geting the 350 in my truck instead of the 4.3L?

Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

What motor and tranny is in your blazer now? Depending on your motor and tranny you may be able to bolt the 350 right up. I know my blazer I would be able to bolt a 350 up but with gas prices wouldn't be very fun as a winter time dd

Old 08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe he stated in another thread that his '86 was a 2.8L so he'd need another transmission either from his '91 or from somewhere else.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Starting Member

ya i got a 2.8L with stock tranny in it so i would need a new tranny.
how much do just regular 350's cost? like nothing special just a mediocre one

Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm........

Why not sell the '86 and drop a V8 in the '91?

The '91 has a tranny a V8 will bolt up to. Then follow the same advice swart got in the other thread.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

However if you want to hot-rod it. Rebuild it to factory spec, and install a beaffier cam/intake/valves kit, headers, and a custom chip.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Starting Member

well the 91' is a total toilet, its completely rusted and need a crapload of work. my 86' already has paint and a bunch of other accessories on it so i have to stick with the 86
well im just researching a lot on 350's and i might go with the 350. pull the tranny out of the 91, put it in the 86 get a new oil pan, fan and whatever else i need
but thanks for the help! ill update u on which road i chose!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran

In that case, save the donor, your going to need lots of things off of it.
Tranny, wiring harness, puter, radiator, etc.

Areboth vehicles 2wdr or 4x4?

Quick Reply: hot rodding a 4.3L