Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Loss of power...bogging...

Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 PM
wareagle_0020 is on a distinguished road
Default Loss of power...bogging...

Got a 4.3 in a 90 blazer...its bad a huge loss of power and if i ever go threw mud or anything and put it to the floor it spits and pops and if i let go of the throttle all the way it goes dead. i have replaced plugs, wires, cap and button. adjusted the throttle body and it had a new air filter...any idea what might be doing this? its a huge huge loss of power and its killing my performance off road

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

cleaning the IAC might be what you need... might not be opening up fast enough as the engine returns to idle...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
SmokenJoe is on a distinguished road

I just went through this. Felt like tranny was going. Turned out to be a blocked cat. Replaced it and now we are back to normal.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Beginning Member
sicks10 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue with a blocked cat.. Then going down the road I heard a pop, looked in mirror, and saw a cloud of black smoke.. Haha. ROLLIN' COAL.. for a second.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Beginning Member
BigNeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SmokenJoe View Post
I just went through this. Felt like tranny was going. Turned out to be a blocked cat. Replaced it and now we are back to normal.
What were the symptoms of a blocked cat? MY throttle response is in need of improvement and I was considering getting a catco high flow cat from my exhaust shop, but didnt know if I needed to get larger piping also, leave it or what.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
SmokenJoe is on a distinguished road
Cool

Originally Posted by BigNeal View Post
What were the symptoms of a blocked cat? MY throttle response is in need of improvement and I was considering getting a catco high flow cat from my exhaust shop, but didnt know if I needed to get larger piping also, leave it or what.

For me it started with a rattle in the cat. Once it warmed up it would stop. It felt like it was being choked out. No power like the tranny was slipping. Had a hard time to rev it up. Turned out the inside of the cat broke and would block of the flow of air once it warmed up. The code that I was getting was for the MAF (mass air flow sensor). It started fine and ran perfect at low idle. Once I put my foot into it no go lucky to get 30mph. I hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by SmokenJoe View Post
For me it started with a rattle in the cat. Once it warmed up it would stop. It felt like it was being choked out. No power like the tranny was slipping. Had a hard time to rev it up. Turned out the inside of the cat broke and would block of the flow of air once it warmed up. The code that I was getting was for the MAF (mass air flow sensor). It started fine and ran perfect at low idle. Once I put my foot into it no go lucky to get 30mph. I hope this helps.

See Im not getting any codes, but it feels like it takes a while to build up speed/power. Like no pick up when I hit the pedal. It got better once I swapped the oem filter out with the amsoil one.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Check EGR valve for carbon chunkage

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member

I'll remove it tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Jesse C Figueroa is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar issue. I have a 89 chevy s10 blazer 4.3l v6 2wd with model 220 tbi. I changed the IACV, the coolant temp sensor, patched up fuel injector wires, and even changed the spark plugs today cuz they were real dirty. Started it up and it is still popping and running like crap. i also found a hose that got disconnected from somewhere that is severed at one end. However for the life of me I cant seem to figure out where it goes.
http://imgur.com/WfJmI

Last edited by Jesse C Figueroa; 05-23-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: adding a picture

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of power...bogging...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.