Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

LS Swap: 88 K5 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 PM
88BlazerBoy is on a distinguished road
Default LS Swap: 88 K5 Blazer

Hi,

I'm trying to work out two issues with the LS swap right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

First, is the high pressure fuel system. I have read a lot of threads about keeping original fuel tanks vs. buying aftermarket high pressure tanks, and the concern of fuel starvation when a tank gets low if this is not done right. I also spoke with Dan from Vette Works who suggested that I buy one of his adapters to TIG weld onto my stock tank, but his idea seems a bit odd, and when all is said and done, the tank patch and pump will cost about $320.00. I have read threads where people bought new high pressure tanks, and I'm curious which tanks they used, what fuel pump they went with, how much it costed, and how well it worked? What are some other suggestions?

Second, is the exhaust system. I'm curious if I will have the clearance to keep and use the stock LS exhaust manifolds for my 88 K5 blazer frame with the Dirty Dog engine mounts. I know that 2010 Camero headers, as well as the headers from 2009 Pontiac G8s, are supposed to fit perfect, but I'm having a hard time finding them locally, and while there are many on ebay, they are slightly out of my budget this month. I would love to make what I have work without doing something stupid like cutting the frame. Any help on this topic would be great as well.

Thanks all you awesome people!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Default Update On LS Issues

Well, since my 88 blazer has TBI, it turns out that the stock tank has baffles, so I don't see any cause to buy a different tank now - the stock tank should do fine for a high pressure fuel system to support the LS motor. I'm still trying to determine the best fuel pump for my tank, and I have at least one lead. High Flow Performance makes a fuel pump (SKU: HFP-343)http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-478354...1988-1995.html for about $80.00. I spoke with someone at High Flow and told them what I'm trying to do with the swap, and they said this part would fit the tank I have perfectly with no additional parts. Does anyone have any experience with this fuel pump and set-up?

Still not sure what to do about the clearance issues with the LMG stock exhaust manifolds. I'm hoping the Dirty Dingo mounts will help me use them, but I'll likely have to shell out another $200 to $300 dollars on fancy headers.

Apart from paying a lot of money for a wire harness from Painless Performance or doing the whole thing myself, does anyone have someone they would recommend for buying a harness or sending my factory harness to?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you can use 3rd generation camaro manifolds, they hug the block pretty tight. thats what i used when i put a350 into my 95. they will be close to the steering shaft but they do clear it, maybe a set of those if you want to go the cheap route

3rd gen i believe is like 83-91ish era. not a camaro expert

oops, seen this was for a k5 blazer, heck i would think you have all the room in the world for any kinda exhaust you wanted to run

Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 AM

From what have figured out in the last few days, I'll come very close to clearing the frame with the stock exhaust manifolds on the 5.3, but the passenger side will likely touch just a bit. I finally found a guy in OR who has done these swaps many times with pick-ups and Blazers with my exact frame, and he says that I'll either need to trim the frame just a tad bit, or else get some Schoenfeld headers made specifically for LS swaps (which appear to be about $250.00 - not bad). He also said to absolutely not use block hugers because they will get in the way of the 4wd.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

good to know, the block huggin manifolds are what i had to run when i did a 350 in my s10. all the other manifolds hit the firewall or frame