Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

need more power!!!! going with aftermarket chip or should i get the ecu reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need more power!!!! going with aftermarket chip or should i get the ecu reprogrammed?

so after a couple of mildmods (k&n, dynomax cat back exhaust)

i still need a little more power

i use the blazer to tow my small enclosed trailer with either camping stuff or motorcycle stuff, not too heavy, but it sure is slugish

i want to spend between 100 - 300 bux

heard good stuff about custom ecu reprogrammed but not having too much success finding a tune shop in cincinnati, anyone know of one?

the basic jet chips seem ok for 150-200 bux

any drawbacks to either?

any help would be very appreciated thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: need more power!!!! going with aftermarket chip or should i get the ecu reprogrammed?

alot of ppl on the forum say that waitforme.com is a great place to send your stock ecu to flashed and updated with you needs.i am not sure what all they do b/c i havn't had the time or the money to do businesswith them yet. but i think someone said that you'll have to send your ecu to them and tell them what you want them to do (what mods, tires, fuel used, etc.) then wait a a week or so then plug in and play. the older members will probably tell ya more and correct me if i have made a mistake.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Default RE: need more power!!!! going with aftermarket chip or should i get the ecu reprogrammed?

thanks for the reply greenjimmy

i have heard good things from them, gonna check them out

anybody want to give a guy a couple reviews of waitforme?
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
wow been looking all over the net and there are a ton of options for tuning ecus

just gotta find the right company at the right price

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM

wow been looking all over the net and there are a ton of options for tuning ecus

just gotta find the right company at the right price

Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the Hypertech III, which works just fine. With it you can:
[ul][*]Tweak engine power (requires 91+ octane fuel after this)[*]Improve shift points and firmness (auto tran only)[*]Update tire size changes for odometer/speedometer[*]Remove top speed limiter (I have never done this and don`t plan to)[*]Update gear ratio changes[/ul]
It doesn`t read codes - but I don`t care, because I can have that done at AutoZone for free.

The HT3 is a pretty simple tool, but it accomplishes most things I want to do. I will probably upgrade to a more robust PC-based application later. Click here for more info.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Hypertech PP III will also tweak the power with regular gas, but using 91 octane (and setting it for that fuel) will give better results. Yours doesn't read codes? Mine does and will clear them, also. Weird. Must be something to do with the year model.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 AM

thanks for the response guys but it appears hypertech only offers one chip for the 95 and thats for the s10 only (don't know why) no programmers

what sux is the 95 is a bastard-child year and some companys it appears don't offer a chip or reprogram

i contacted pcmforless and they said they don't do 95's

hopefully once westers and wait4me respond to my emails they will offer products for the 95

anybodyhave first hand experience with a program/chip witha company that provides ecu products/services for 95?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually asked Hypertech about the chip for your truck? I suspect the one for the S10 pick-up will be just fine for your Blazer.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM

nope haven't asked, just went to their website and put in my year and no blazer models pop up only an s-10, weird thing is if you put in 96 it shows the blazer as a model

weird!

should be the same right thats what i thought but who knows just started this chip reprogram quest couple of days ago, buy yeah in the end an email or phone call to them will deff help

thanks man

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

The Hypertech PP III will also tweak the power with regular gas, but using 91 octane (and setting it for that fuel) will give better results. Yours doesn't read codes? Mine does and will clear them, also. Weird. Must be something to do with the year model.
Nope, mine doesn`t have this feature. Oddly enough, I think the manual on their site says that it`s supposed to. Maybe I should call them about it, because I recall my SES light coming on once, but the HTP didn`t pick it up. LOL

ORIGINAL: rriddle3
Have you actually asked Hypertech about the chip for your truck? I suspect the one for the S10 pick-up will be just fine for your Blazer.
I would be very careful about this, and here`s why: It was somewhere in between the `94 and `96 years that the S-series trucks were upgraded from ODB I to ODB II. Fortunately, mine is definitely the ODB II.

88blackzcand95blazer - My advice is that you check your truck`s manual first to see exactly which type of computer is in it before trying to use the S-10 programmer on it. Then check to make sure that the programmer you have is designed for the right computer that is actually in your truck (ODB I or ODB II). As long as the programmer matches the system, then it shouldn`t matter whether the vehicle is an S-10 or a Blazer.

This may sound like overkill, but IMO when you`re about to mess with the computer, no precaution is too much - because fixing a FUBAR ECM/PCM can cost you mucho dineros!

Quick Reply: need more power!!!! going with aftermarket chip or should i get the ecu reprogrammed?