Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

pontiac sunfire UP DATE!!! PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pontiac sunfire UP DATE!!! PICS!!!!

THATS RIGHT this post is about a pontiact sunfire. its my sisters car i am pretty sure the engine is siezed. i was hoping you guys could help in general with what would need to be done to rubild a seized engine. i posted on the j-body forums(turns out thats what their called), but no help at all from them. heres what i posted
i am here for my sister, she owns a 97 Pontiac Sunfire with the 2.4l, its a 5 speed. i was home this weekend, and i heard her car running, not good, so i took it to and auto parts store, to get the codes pulled, they could not do it because they said their was something wrong with the obd port. this is not my main concern, and it worked some time back when we had them pulled earlier.

my main concern, is that when i went to leave its had a very rough time of turning over and did not start, i let it rest and tried again, same thing only this time even slower crank, i let it rest and tried again, nothing, i can hear the starter click and try to engage,but would not even turn the engine at all, and it was turning over just seconds before. i had the battery tested on the spot it was fine, i called my dad to come and tow it home. while he towed me in the parking lot we tried to start it by dropping the clutch in gear, the wheels were completely locked and would not turn at all as soon as the clutch was engaged. i believe the motor is seized. what parts do you think might have been damaged, where can i get good replacements. i need more information on the internals of the engine because i am unfamiliar with it. what size are the pistons, rods, so on and so forth.

also before it broke is was stumbling, but in a regular way, ie the pattern kept repeating, also there was a very audible knock, that happened a few to maybe 5 times a second at idle(i didn't count)
she just had her oil changed last week, and it had apparently been a long time before that, they said it still had oil but that it was very old. also when i looked under the car the solid coolant line that ran from the bottom of the radiator to the engine, was smashed almost completely closed, despite this the temp never got the least bit hot when i drove it.

i hope you guys can help and i hope this gives you what you need, i am going to try to tear apart her engine this weekend, so hopefully you guys can let me know what i need by then.
i figure new piston rings are a givin, will i need to have the block machined? also i know any other parts that are broken or damaged but are their any other things that will have to be replaced no matter what?

thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Default RE: pontiac sunfire

as un update we towed it to a local shop they replaced the starter and it made no diffrence just as i thought.

also when we had the codes pulled before, they were the crank and cam position sensors, i believe, its been a while. they were NOT replaced and so i think they played a major role in the stumbeling.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Dummy light on? Oil lamp?

My buds 1998 Z24 cavvy dumped too. Spun a crank bearing. Idiot light was on for a year before he had it looked at.

He got an '07 Ion. same motor! 2.4 litre. They just ended Ion production last Wed in TN btw.

It was a sign it was too late.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Might be cheaper to just go ahead and replace the engine with a used one.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 AM

the cel was on but as i said they were unable to check it for whatever reason.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

If it can't be turned over I would get another car. sorry man.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM

yea i know but its my sisters and she doesnt have alot of cash so i am hoping that i can rebuild it for her at just the cost of parts.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Well, you can go ahead and pull the engine apart to see if you can find the problem and repair it. Personally, I think I would check for a used engine (with a warranty) and just put that in.
When you consider the time, parts, gaskets etc involved in an engine repair for a '97 Sunfire, it might actually be faster and less expensive to just put in a used engine.
Just my opinion.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd bet you have hydrolocked the engine due to coolant in the cylinders from a blown head gasket. That's the good news...if it has locked when you dumped the clutch you may have bent a rod...you need to pull the head off and have it pressure checked and straight-edeged first.....but you probably have caused more damage bro.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM

yea, thanks for the info lastcoupe but the road was gravely and the tires just broke loose imedetly, you might be right but i am hoping that its ok i think it probably is, i wasnt terribly violent with it. so you think a new head gasket will fix them problem if that is the case and i didnt f*it up more.

Quick Reply: pontiac sunfire UP DATE!!! PICS!!!!