Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Pulling Motor Best way help needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 PM
ggwash21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pulling Motor Best way help needed ASAP

I'm pulling the motor tonight and in the morning and wondering best way
1. unbolt engine from tranny and then lift out
or
2. take out engine,tranny,t-case all at once

any ideas out there help

thanks

Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Pulling Motor Best way help needed ASAP

Well, Hanr3 would be better at answering this, but I'll give it a shot.

I think that the transmission is easier to remove from underneith.

Here goes nothing... Disconnect the battery & remove it from the vehicle. Raise and support the truck on jackstands as high as you safely can. Remove the front and rear driveshafts. Undo all electrical/vacuum connections and unfasten all wiring harnesses from both the transmission and the t-case. Remove all linkages/cables to the transmission. Disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines from the passenger side of the transmission case. Depending on year, if you have a torque converter sheild, remove it and unbolt the TC from the flywheel. If you have a transmission with a full shroud, remove the starter to access the TC bolts and unbolt the TC from the flywheel. Support the transmission on a jack with appropriate provisions so that it does not slip off. Remove the rear transmission crossmember. Lower the transmission enough to gain access to the top most bolts (lots of long extensions are necessary here). Jack the transmission back up to a neutral position and remove the remaining bolts. While supporting the transmission, pull straight back to disengage it from the dowel pins on the back of the block. Lower about 3-4 inches and ensure that no electrical, vacuum, or any other linkages/cables are connected to the transmission/t-case and lower to the ground.

Now on the engine. Drain coolant. Remove radiator hoses. Remove the radiator for added clearance.Remove all electrical harness from the engine. Unbolt exhaust y-pipe from manifolds. Disconnect fuel system. Disconnect AIR system if equiped. Remove fan/clutch from the water pump. Remove the A/C compressor and set on inner fender out of the way. If you did not remove the starter when removing the trans, remove it now. Find a suitable place to attach the chains for the hoist and support the motor on the hoise. Remove the motor mount bolts and jack the motor up about 3-4 inches and check for anything that is still connected.

I probably forgot something, but that is the gist of it. There may be an easier way, but this is the process that I would go with...

Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 AM

Awsome, that was quick and detailed thanks alot i will be starting it in a bit it helps that theres no front clip on it just sucks trying to get to the upper tran bolts

again Thanks
Gary

Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, heck, if there isn't a front clip (ie no radiator, rad core support, or A/C condenser), then you may very well be able to pull them together. Only thing you'd have to watch out for is the y-pipe. Problem with pulling engine and trans as one in these vehicles is that they mostlikely would have to come further forward than the core support would allow. If that isn't there, you should be set.

Good luck and take pictures!

Old 06-17-2006, 02:08 AM

i will the tranny was rebuilt 22k ago and the truck had a small front end fire, and i have someone to buy motor but not tranny and i just took a 2500 kick in the butt cuz truck only had liability on it [:'(]