Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:44 PM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seafoam?

Hey I was reading threw the thread on the octane and saw swart mentioning sea foam, does that stuff realy work, is it somthing good to do at 50-60k? Is it ok for the blazer, I know on my VW it wasn't recomended to do for some reason I forget now. Just wondering any input is appreciated!

Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Seafoam?

Everyone says it works great. I havent tried it myself yet, waiting a few more miles til I'm close to an oil change. Its supposed to clean out carbon buildup, which can cause detonation.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
hdlogistics is an unknown quantity at this point

It worked great for me. When I used it on my '91 Grand Marquis, I had quite the smoke show....

Old 06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya thats what i heard that the smoke is just crazy when you use seafoam, ah mabye ill have to give it a try for fun on my next oil change. As long as its not bad for anything what could it hurt. Thanks for the input!

Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 AM
dg94_4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used half a can in my crankcase and half in my gas tank about 200 miles ago. So far it hasnt smoked at all. Seems like it might be helping the fuel system a little. Dont know for sure.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: dg94_4x4

I used half a can in my crankcase and half in my gas tank about 200 miles ago. So far it hasnt smoked at all. Seems like it might be helping the fuel system a little. Dont know for sure.
If you want the smoke show you have to pour/suck it into the intake. There are instructions on the can on removing carbon build up in the intake and EGR system by removing a vacuum line that will get the seafoam totally into the intake all over or with older TBI/Carb systems you can pour it down the Throttle Body or Carb to do the same thing. You let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before starting up and the smoke show will begin shortly after since you are burning the loosened carbon through your combustion chambers. As soon as the smoke clears the carbon should be removed, but as with all things chemical if your carbon is excessive you might have to repeat the procedure, you may also have to replace your plugs not a given but sometimes happens.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:14 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

does anybody know how much a bottle of this stuff costs? And the "smoke show" you guys talk about, is that all carbon? I just read up on it a little bit and it looks like pretty good stuff.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 AM

I just picked up a can a few days ago for just over $5. I would assume the smoke show is the carbon, but I'm not sure.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, around $5. And yeah, the smoke show is the built up carbon clearing out of the system. Now I recommend driving the vehicle hard until the smoke clears to make sure that the catalytic converter stays as hot as possible to burn anything off of the catalyst. I just used a small funnel attached to the PCV vacuum hose and poured 2/3rds of the can down through while keeping the engine running and the last 1/3 I just dumped in and let the engine die as the last bit was sucked in.

Now that was before I realized that if you disconnect the MAF sensor (96+), the engine will run without the intake duct work on. You can just pour the seafoam down the TB and it'll work the same way.

Any more questions post up!

Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 PM

I just finished up using Seafoam this evening. On my 95 I ended up putting the PCV hose up on end since the throttle body is not far from the fan blade and is almost horizontal. With engine running it sucks the Seafoam in nicely, was hard to keep it from stalling. I left a cloud in the driveway and a trail of white smoke all the way around the block. Idle was smoothed out immediately, can barely tell its running now. Got rid of the pre-detonation I was experiencing also.

Quick Reply: Seafoam?